Chapter 1

Paige POV

I was walking to the bus stop and it started raining. Great that makes my day even better. My boss just told me that they're closing down the book store. I loved my job. I've had it for 3 years. I got it when I first moved to the city. LA was such a lonely place to be, but I felt so welcomed and happy in that bookshop.

It was hard getting a job here. Everywhere I applied they asked for experience and big resumes. I was about to start my senior year in UCLA and the only place they hired me was at this wonderful bookstore. I had a scholarship and a job, but I could barely make ends meet.

I lived in a small apartment with 5 other roommates. We didn't really interact with each other, unless it involved something with the apartment. I was however close to Lily. We shared a room together and we hit it off as soon as we met. I wasn't really a social butterfly. A lot of it had to do with my upbringing, but I won't get into that right now.

School was scheduled to start in 3 weeks. I needed to find a job before then. I was sitting at the bus stop when I got an email from professor Adams. I was her TA and she's been so nice to me thru out my time in UCLA. Seeing as how I didn't have many friends, I got pretty close to her and she always gave me advice on what to do. I asked her if she knew of any jobs I could apply to. She answered me and said that they were looking for a babysitter for a young girl with special needs. I wasn't sure what that meant but I was a pre-med student. She sent me the info and I called a phone number to schedule an interview. The lady on the phone sounded so rude. She said to send in my resume and come in tomorrow for an interview.

Even tho it was a simple job I knew they wanted good references. That's not something I had.

The bus finally arrived and I got home. I took a long shower and told lily about my interview tomorrow. She wished me luck, then I watched a movie on Netflix and I feel asleep praying that I would get the job tomorrow.

I woke up the next day for my interview. I didn't own a lot of clothes but I wore black pants and a white dress shirt. I didn't really know how to do my make up. I did however straighten my hair.

I got to the bus stop and then called an Uber to get to the address. It was a private residence in the Beverly Hills. The house was a freaking 4 story mansion. I've only seen those in movies. I got to the gate and told the guard I had an interview and my name. He told me to go thru the back of the house.

I walked to the back of the house and there I saw this lady in a black dress, she had her hair up in a perfect bow. I have no other clue how to describe it. She looked like she wasn't a nice person. She took one look at me and made a face "you're miss Evans?" She asked.

"That would be me" I said trying to smile. I was so nervous.

"I'm Mrs. Nelson. Follow me" she said. I guess the staff had a special entrance. She took me to a room full of books. It looked magical in here. "So tell me Miss Evans, do you have any references?" She asked me. I could see her judging me thru her glasses.

"I used to work in a book shop." I answered.

"Yes and...." she said.

"That's all" I answered.

"I see." She said looking at some papers in front of her. "What Can you tell me about yourself?"

"I'm a Pre med student at UCLA, Professor Whitney Adams told me about this interview."

"Yes Ms. Adams is honestly the only reason why you're here. She knows the Anderson family and she recommend you. That's honestly the only reason why you're here" she said. Ouch. That one hurt. "I'll be honest with you Miss Evans. You're not qualified for this job. You're definitely not the person Mr. Anderson is looking for and I would never waste his time with someone like you." She said. Double ouch.

"Oh, ok." I said. "I'm sorry for wasting your time. I'll see my way out" I said standing up and making my way to the back door.

When I was outside I saw a little girl sitting by herself on a swing set. She looked fairly sad. I hated seeing kids sad. All my childhood is full of dark memories. I hated seeing a sad expression on a child's face.

I walked up to her. She was looking at the ground sitting on the swing. "Hi there." I said. The little girl looked up at me with her blues eyes. She didn't say anything. "I'm Paige what's your name?" I asked her. She didn't respond. "Do you mind if I sit here with you?" I asked her. This time she nodded. I sat on the swing next to her "Thanks" I said and started swing. I looked at her, she was the cutest little thing, "You know a pretty little girl like yourself shouldn't be sad. Do you want to hear a joke?" I asked her. She nodded. "Why was 6 afraid of 7?" I asked her. She lifted up her little shoulders up and down. "Because 7, 8, 9." I know it was a dumb joke but she actually laughed. "Ok now can you tell me a joke?" I asked her. She shook her head again. "Fine I'll tell you another one. What do you call a dinosaur that is sleeping?" She shrugged again "A dino-snore!" I said and she laughed and smiled at me. "Don't I say the funniest jokes?"I asked her. She nodded. "I'm Paige by the way." I told her.

"I'm Sara." She said in a small voice.

"Well It's really nice to meet you Sara. How old are you?" I asked her.

"I'm 7" she said shyly.

"Really? I could of sworn you were 6. Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Yes I'm sure" she giggled. She had such a nice laugh.

"You're so pretty do you know that? I would of loved to have a sister like you." I told her.

"You don't have any brothers or sisters?" She asked me.

"No. Do you?" I asked her.

"Yes. I have a brother, but he doesn't like me very much. He's always mad and yelling at somebody" she said looking sad.

"I'm sorry Sara. Here" I said giving her a lollipop I had in my purse.

"Thanks" she said giving me a wide smile.

I looked up and saw a man and the women who interviewed me coming into view, walking towards us. Oh no! Did I get in trouble?