Chapter 3

Paige POV

I was talking to Mrs. Nelson and she was telling me the do's and dont's around here. She gave me a list of things that were expected of me. She seemed like a very strict person I just nodded my head the entire time.

Sara had already started school, so I was supposed to be here at 2:30 and I was supposed to go with the Chauffeur to pick her up at 3pm. I was supposed to always have formal clothes on. The problem was I didn't have any. I would dress up as nice as I could with the clothes I had.

I didn't see Sara before I left. I wanted to see what she thought of me being her nanny.

I got home and told Lily the good news. She was happy for me. I was really glad I was going to be able to pay my rent this month.

I woke up the next day. I tied my hair into a bow and changed into some semi nice clothes.

I arrived at the Anderson Mansion on time and the chauffeur took me to Sara's academy. There was a line of nice cars lines up and they all had, what looked like a nanny's waiting to pick up the kids.

This scene gave me the chills. I knew Sara didn't have a mom, but didn't the rest of these kids have a mom or dad for that matter? If I had a child I would love to pick her up. It understandable if both parents work, but did the other parents have an excuse? I guess I shouldn't be saying anything. Even when I had a mom, she didn't really care too much about me. Except for the one time she actually did and that turned out into a horrible event. That's exactly why I shouldn't get close to people. I only attract bad things around me. I shook my head.

I heard a bell ring and kids starting running out of the building and getting into these really expensive limos and cars.

I saw Sara walk towards the vehicle and I waved to her. She waved back and smiled. "Hi Sara. Remember me?" I asked her.

"Of course I do. You're Paige" she said.

"That I am. So want to head home?" I asked.

"I guess" she sighed. We both got in the car.

"Why the long face?" I asked.

"Nothing." She said looking at the window.

"Aw come on tell me. I promise not to tell anyone. Pinky swear" I said putting my pinky out.

"What's pinky swear?" She asked.

"You don't know what pinky swear is?" She shook her head. "Pinky swear means, you're going to make a promise to someone and you can never break it. Your pinky depends on it" I said.

She laughed "what happens to my pinky?"

"Well you're pink will disappear if you brake the promise" I said.

"That's not possible silly" she said laughing.

"that's why you can only pinky swear when you really mean something. So I pinky swear not to tell anyone what's bothering you if you tell me" I said holding out my pinky.

She crossed her pinky around mine and sighed "I just really miss my mom. We would always cook lunch together or bake together. A girl was talking about all the things she would do with her mom and I remembered mine." She said looking sad.

"Well I'm not the greatest cook or baker in the world but how about we try making our lunch today. Then you can show me how to bake something easy so I get the hang of it." I said.

She looked up at me. "Really?" She asked.

"Yes. Why not." I smiled at her.

"Thank you!" She said giving me a hug. I hugged her back. Sara was such a sweet little girl.

We arrived at the mansion and we headed towards the kitchen. We made chicken quesadillas. The maids and chefs protested at first but we convinced them to let us.

After we had lunch Sara was showing me how to make cookies. I never baked in my life so I was a bit nervous. We were working with flour when Sara thru a little flour at me and laughed. "You little rascal." I said throwing flour at her. We where running around the kitchen throwing flour at each other when we heard a voice yell at us.

"What's the meaning of this?! Miss Evans what in the world are you doing?" Mrs. Nelson was yelling at us. Sara hid behind me.

Dang it. "Um, we were just baking." I said.

"This behavior is completely unacceptable. I should fire you immediately" she said yelling at me. "And what in the world are you wearing? I told you, you had to wear formal clothes. You're in causal clothes" she said yelling at me.

I flinched. "Sorry Mrs. Nelson. I um, I don't, I don't really have formal clothes. When I get my first paycheck I'll buy some. I just can't afford it right now" I said nervously.

"None the less, you guys made a mess in the kitchen! This is completely unacceptable!" She yelled at us again.

"Mrs. Nelson. I don't think it's necessary to be so harsh." Mr. Anderson said walking into the kitchen.

"Mr. Anderson I was simply Enforcing the rules we have in this house for our staff." Mrs. Nelson told him.

Amazingly Sara cut in "we were just baking some cookies Ethan, I thru flour at Paige, it's all my fault, please don't fire her" she said timidly from behind me.

"No Sara, I'm the adult here. I'm sorry Mr. Anderson. I didn't mean to make a mess in the kitchen. Sara and I were just having fun. I'll clean up immediately and I'll leave if you'd like" I said.

"No" Sara said from behind me.

"No that isn't necessary Miss Evans. Mrs. Nelson please don't be so harsh on these girls. They were simply having fun." He said.

"As you wish sir." She said walking away mad.

"Please carry on with what you girls were doing. You two seemed to be having lots of fun before you were interrupted." He said. "And Miss Evans don't worry about our formal code, you're welcomed to dress in whatever clothes you feel comfortable in" he said and walked away. Oh no, he must of heard what I said to Mrs. Nelson. How embarrassing. He walked out of the room and I looked at Sara.

"How about we finish those cookies" I said.

Sara smiled and nodded. We finished baking the cookies and we cleaned up. I helped Sara with her homework and I left once she fell asleep. Boy today felt like a long day.

Ethans POV

I arrived home early again. I wanted to see how Sara was doing with Miss Evans. I walked inside and asked where Sara was. They said she was in the Kitchen with Paige. Sara would always be in here with my mom. It brought back some nice memories.

I headed towards the kitchen and peaked my head inside. I saw Paige and Sara running around the kitchen throwing flour at each other laughing. This is the second time I've heard Sara laugh in the past year. All of a sudden Mrs. Nelson walked in thru the back door and started yelling at them. Then she criticized the clothes Paige was wearing and what she got to me. She couldn't afford clothes? That caused a knot in the pit of my stomach.

I finally cut in and set the scene straight. Sara even defended Paige. She rarely spoke, but she spoke up to defend Paige. Paige immediately said it was her fault, knowing her job was at risk. She did it to defend Sara. What a noble thing to do. I excused Mrs. Nelson and told them to carry on. I also told her she could wear anything she'd like.

I loved how Sara was laughing again, and talking. It was all thanks to Paige.

I called Mrs. Nelson to my office and told her not to be harsh on Paige or Sara. Paige could wear whatever she'd like and they were allowed to do what they pleased in the house as long as it didn't put Sara in danger.

I decided to go back into the office and then I got a call from Cali.