Chapter 55

Paige POV

Time seemed to slowly go by very slow. It's been about two hours and we still haven't heard back from Kevin.

Ethan wouldn't leave my side. I told him he could leave but he wouldn't. Secretly I was glad he didn't.

"Ethan what if there's something really bad going on with her?" I asked him with tears in my eyes.

He held my hand "Well work thru it. I'm here for both of you" he said looking into my eyes.

Before I could respond Kevin walked in. "Sorry to interrupt" he said looking mad.

I sat up on the bed. "Kevin. How is she?" I asked him.

"Her lungs are not fully developed. Unfortunately she needs oxygen around the clock. It doesn't seem she has any other complications. She needs to undergo respiratory therapy. It may take a week. It may take a month. But she'll get better." He said.

"Can I see her?" I asked him.

"You can." He said. Then I stood up from the bed. Ethan tried to help me but Kevin came to my side.

"I can help her" Ethan said sounding annoyed.

"I've been helping her for the last couple of months. We don't need your help" Kevin said glaring at Ethan.

I sighed. I couldn't deal with this right now. "I don't need any help." I said getting off the bed and walking towards the door with the door with my IV.

We walked over to the room Emma was in. She was in a little box like bed. She had a little oxygen mask on. I stood over her and put my hands inside the box. I stroked her little hand. "Hi baby girl. Mommy is here. Mommy will always be here." I said.

I turned to Kevin. "Can I hold her?" I asked him. He nodded. I slowly took her out of the plastic box, and made sure not to remove the oxygen mask. I sat on the chair next to her little bed and put her against me.

I honestly lost track of my surroundings. In that moment it was only Emma and I.

Then she started crying. "She's hungry" Kevin said. I looked up and realized Ethan and Kevin never left the room.

"Can I feed her?" I asked him. Kevin nodded.

"We should give you some privacy and leave the room" Kevin said.

I nodded and I noticed Ethan was hesitant but he walked out of the room along with Kevin. I feed my baby and she stopped crying. I held her against me and everything felt right in the world.

She fell asleep as I feed her. I covered myself up and patted her back.

Then Kevin entered the room. "It's getting late. You should get some rest." He said.

"I don't want to leave her" I said as I looked down at Emma.

"I know you don't. But you know it's the rules Paige. Come on. She'll be fine. You know we have nurses around the clock and I'm here. You can see her tomorrow." He said.

I really didn't want to leave Emma but I sighed and said ok. I gave Emma a kiss in her forehead and slowly put her back on the little bed.  "I'll be back tomorrow" I said to her as she slept.

I immediately started crying. I didn't want to leave her. Kevin held my arm and gestured me towards the door. He took me to my room and helped me get onto the bed. He sat down on the chair next to me. It wasn't until now that I noticed the state he was in. He had a small black eye and had small cuts on his face.

"Kevin what happened?" I asked him.

He slightly laughed "I didn't think you would notice" he said.

"Kevin what happened?" I asked him again.

"I was on my way to the market when a car crashed into me." He said.

"Oh my goodness Kevin. Are you ok?" I asked him.

"I'm great. Don't worry about it." He said.

"But..." I tried to say.

"I'm fine Paige. Anyways they took me over to the police station to give my testimony. They had me there for hours. Then I noticed I didn't have my phone on me. As I was about to leave an officer came by and said he found my phone in my car. He's the one who helped me when the accident happened, so he knew what car I had and they found a phone while examining the scene and he knew it was mine. That's when I saw all the missed calls I had. I saw your text and immediately made my way over here." He said and he put his hand in my face. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for the birth but I'm here now." He said.

"Kevin I'm so sorry. I'm so glad your ok." I said. "Don't worry about it. You're here now" I said.

I wanted to ask him about Ethan but I knew he wouldn't be happy about it.

A nurse came in and asked that I pump milk so they could feed Emma. Kevin left once again to give me privacy. Then he came back inside. Shortly after I fell asleep.