Chapter 17

Paige POV

We were finally able to take Sara home. We made our way back to Ethan's apartment. There was paparazzi at the hospital exit. Apparently word got around of Sara condition and the media went crazy. I've never experienced that and I hope to never experience that again.

We spent Friday at their apartment. Watching movies, playing games and eating junk food.

When Saturday came around I got a text from Kevin, asking if I could spend the afternoon with him. I never asked Ethan.

He was sitting in the living room reading the news paper. "Ethan" I said and he looked up at me.

"Yes Paige." He asked.

"Ethan I was wondering if I can maybe have some time for myself this afternoon. If you need me here I can stay" I said.

He looked at me for a second "you're free to go." He said and then he went back to his paper.

I spent the morning with Sara. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"I don't really know. My friend just asked me to go out" I said.

"Is he your boyfriend?" She asked.

"Oh heavens no. He's just an old friend from when I was a kid" I said.

"Oh ok." She said and we went back to finishing out jigsaw puzzle.

Around 2 pm I started to get ready. I didn't ever get ready for anything. I straighten my hair and put very light makeup and I was ready to go. I didn't come prepared for much so I just had jeans, a tshirt , and a coat.

Ethan and Sara were sitting in the sofa. "Paige you look pretty" Sara said looking up at me.

"Thanks" I blushed.

"I'll see you guys later" I said heading towards the door. Just then Kevin texted me saying that he was downstairs.

I took the elevator and saw him in the entrance. "Paige" he said giving me a big bear hug. "Ready to go?" He asked.

"Lead the way" I said and followed him out.

First he took me to this cute little Italian restaurant. Where we were able to catch up. "My god the food here is delicious" I said taking a bite of my fettuccine Alfredo.

"I know it is." He smiled at me.

"Kevin so what happened to you after you got adopted?" I asked. After my mom was killed I was sent to an orphanage. There I met Kevin. He took care of me from day one. He was 4 years older than me and he always stood up for me. Right before his 18 Th birthday he was adopted. We both thought of running away but I didn't want to miss up his chance at a happy life.

"Well my parents put me thru college, then I got into NYU for medical school and I got into pediatrics." He said. "What about you?" He asked.

"You did it. Just like we planned." I smiled at him. "Well once I turned 18, I got into UCLA, I'm also premed and right now I'm a senior there." I said.

"Paige I'm sorry for not..."

"No, no it's ok. We were both kids when we made that pact." I said. Kevin said when I turned 18 he would come find me at the orphanage. He never showed up.

"Paige let me explain. I was going thru final exams when you tuned 18. I went one week after and you were gone. Nobody could give me information on you.  NO one knew where you were. Then when I saw you yesterday I almost cried from the joy" he said.

I tried to lighten the mood "really, you would cry Kevin?" I asked laughing.

"Ok maybe not cry but I might have shed a tear or two." He said.

Around 7 pm I told him I needed to leave. He took me to the apartment and gave me a hug before he left. He told me he was going to visit after New Year's Day and that he wanted to see me. I told him I would love to see him and I headed back upstairs.

When I opened the door Sara and Ethan were watching a movie. Sara looked like she fell asleep and Ethan looked mad.

On Sunday we left New York and made it back home. I kept getting messages from Kevin. They were mostly memes and he would always get me to laugh.

Ethan seemed to be more cold and distant towards me. I had no idea what I did wrong but I just decided to ignore him all together.