Chapter 54

Paige POV

The moment had come. It was time for me to push. Ethan held my hand. The pain was unbearable, but of course I pulled thru.

Soon after I heard a baby crying. "It's a girl." The obstetrician said.

I immediately started crying. I didn't want to know the baby's gender until the birth. They showed me my baby girl and the pediatrician took her to the side to examine her. Kevin never arrived so someone else had to examine her.

"She's beautiful" Ethan said as we both looked over to the left side of the room. I simply nodded and cried.

The obstetrician finished up with me and then 10 minutes later the pediatrician handed me my baby. "Hi Emma Grace" I whispered.

"Emma Grace. What a beautiful name" Ethan said.

"Thank you" I whispered. I held her close. It felt so right to have her in my arms.

"Paige can I... can I hold her?" Ethan asked me. I nodded and slowly handed him Emma Grace. "Hi there Emma Grace. It's me. I'm your daddy. I'm really sorry I haven't been here for you or Mommy. But I do want you to know that I'm here now and I promise not to going anywhere." He said as he looked down at Emma. I started crying. Geez I was so emotional. The three of us were having a family moment. Then out of nowhere Emma started coughing. Ethan panicked and handed her to me. "Oh no! what's wrong?" He asked. I held her and started examining her. I immediately noticed she stopped breathing.

"Oh no!" I said. Then she started turning blue. I started to simulate her back. "Ethan hand me the ambu" I Said forgetting who I was talking to.

"The what?" He panicked.

Then I realized my mistake. "Sorry. That blue looking pump. It's in the little bed the pediatrician examined Emma" I said. Ethan immediately stood up and grabbed it. Then he handed it to me. I immediately put it over Emma's mouth and nose and started pumping. I've done this before with Kevin. Ethan looked panicked. "Ethan I know your scared but get a pediatrician in here quick" I said. He nodded and ran out of the room.

This isn't right. The pediatrician said she had a good APGAR and SILVERMAN. We use those to evaluate babies when they're born. This just didn't make sense. Thankfully Emma quickly reacted, thank goodness. However I noticed she wasn't breathing correctly. She was using accessories muscles to breath and that wasn't good.

Just then a miracle happened. Kevin appeared at the door and walked in. "Kevin!" I yelled as I sat on the bed. "Please help my baby girl. She's not breathing correctly. I already used the ambu and it helped her breathe again but she has dyspnoea. I don't know why she's having trouble breathing. I was about to stand up and put her in an oxygen mask!" I said. Kevin immediately sprung into action.

He grabbed Emma and walked over to examine her. I quickly stood up from the bed and hurried over to Kevin's side.

He held my baby and inspected her. I knew his look. That wasn't good. "Paige I need to run some tests" he said after he finished the examination. "Who examined her?" He asked me.

"I believe it was Davis. Ok let me go with you" I said.

"Damn. Why would they send the resident." He sighed angrily. "No Paige. This time it's different. She's not a patient. She's your daughter. I promise to take care of her." He said. I wanted to go with her but in the end I knew Kevin was right. I nodded and then the nurse walked in with Ethan behind her. Kevin instructed the nurse on what he needed and they immediately left with Emma Grace. I saw Ethan and Kevin glare at each other when they crossed paths but I didn't give it much thought.

Ethan was immediately at my side. Then I broke down and burst into tears as I stood next to my bed. Ethan immediately pulled me into a hug. "Ethan there something wrong with our baby. I just know it" I cried out. Ethan didn't say anything. He just held me as I cried.

I held him back and cried in his arms. After about 10 min I was able to calm down and Ethan helped me get back into bed.

I had completely forgotten about Sara. Ethan said he has the driver take her to the hotel. I was glad she was ok but then I started crying again. Ethan held me as I cried in the hospital bed, praying that Emma would be ok.