Chapter 9

Paige POV

I was so surprised when Ethan brought up my medication. No one ever really does nice things for me. That night Sara and I finished our movie marathon and of course she asked me to sleep in her room.

The following week went by in a blur. I felt so much better now. I was able to work around school and work. Friday came around and I thought it was time to go home.

I knocked on Ethans door. "Come in" I heard him say and I stepped inside his office. He was sitting at his desk looking over his paper work. He's been busy all week, so Sara and I haven't seen much of him. "Oh hello Paige. What can I help you with?" He said looking up at me with his green eyes.

"Um, yeah. I wanted to say thank you for letting me stay in your home, while I recover and I don't want to over stay my welcome, so I think it would be best if I go home now" I said tapping my foot nervously.

He looked at me. "Paige, you're not over staying your welcome. On the contrary. Sara loves the fact that you're here. In fact I wanted to ask if this could be permanent." He said.

Excuse me. What did he just say? "Now before you say no. I want you to know that I am open to any conditions that you may have. Sara has been so happy. I don't want that to go away" he said looking at me.

"I, um. I don't know what to say." I said.

"Please say yes. I'll even pay for your old place. You may go there whenever you please." He said.

I looked at him like he lost his mind but didn't say anything. All of a sudden I heard Sara barge in. "Paige, please say yes!" Sara said as she hugged me and looked up at me.

I looked down on her. "Sara were you eves dropping?" Ethan asked her.

"Maybe" she laughed and looked up at me again. "Please Paige" she said looking at me with her golden brown eyes.

I smiled at her. "Ok"I said.

Sara started jumping up and down. "Yay!" She said.

"Well I'm glad that's settled" Ethan said.

Before I could say anything Sara pulled me out of the room and into her room. "Thank you Paige." She hugged me and I hugged her back. I couldn't believe I was with such a sweet girl.

I woke up on Saturday morning. I got an email from professor Adams. She said she needed to see me in her office on Monday. I emailed her back saying I would see her then.

Sara and I went to the mall on Saturday. She said she missed going to the mall with her mother and getting a girls opinion on things. It was nice. I never did this with my mom.

When we got home, we ate pizza and watched movies in the living room. I carried Sara upstairs when she fell asleep and I went downstairs to clean up. As I did, I heard the front door open and Ethan walked in.

He looked exhausted. "Hello Paige good evening" he said.

"Hi" I whispered. He looked around the room. "Sara and I had a pizza party. I was just cleaning up. Would you like some?" I asked.

"I haven't had pizza in the longest time." He said. "Sure why not" he smiled at me.

I turned around and I grabbed a plate and put two slices in. "Let me warm this up for you." I said.

"No i can do it" he said.

"Please. Let me." I said as I headed towards the kitchen. He followed me. I put the pizza in a small mini oven.

I turned around and he was sitting in the stool looking at me. I immediately felt self conscious. "So how was your day?" I asked him. He chuckled. "What's so funny?" I asked him. Was he laughing at me.

"I just had a memory pop up." He chucked.

"Oh" I said. Looking down. What else was I supposed to say?

"It was about my parents" I looked up at him. He rarely mentioned them. "Every time my dad would get hole from work, my mom would always ask how his day was" he said. "He would come in and my mom would always be happy to see him. They were so in love. They would of liked you." He said looking at me.

"They sound like such a happy couple. You were lucky to have them as parents" I said to him.

"What about your parents." He asked me and I looked away. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He said.

I looked back at him. "I don't have parents. They both died when I was young." I said.

"I'm so sorry. Who did you stay with when they died?" He asked with curios eyes.

"I um I grew up in an orphanage." I said looking down at my shoes.

"And how was that?" He asked.

"It was an experience" I said looking away. Then the oven beeped. I looked up and pulled the pizza out of the oven. Then I handed him the pizza.

"Thanks." He said and took a bite.

"You're welcome" I said. "Well I should go ahead and..."

"Please sit with me Paige. I don't want to eat alone. I grew up having family dinners and I lost that with my parents. Ever since then I haven't had a real family dinner and I miss that." He said looking up at me.

I smiled at a sat down in front of him. "Of course" I said as I sat down.

"You don't have to" he said looking away. "I'm sorry for..."

"You have nothing to apologize for. I always hated eating my meals alone. I know what it's like" I smiled at him.

"Thanks Paige. So what did you and Sara do today?" He asked. I told him all about my day. "It seems like you girls had fun today. Thank you" he said. I had my hands on the counter and he put both hands on mine. I immediately noticed I tried to act natural but I couldn't.

"No problem. Um let me wash your plate" I said grabbing the plate.

I stood up. "No let me do it" he said.

I started backing up, walking backwards, with the plate in hand and he came up to me and tried to take it away.

"No it's fine" I said backing up even more. All of a sudden I hit a dead end. I had Ethan in front of me and I had no where to do. He was so close to me. He looked at me. Into my eyes and started to com in closer. Was he going to kiss me again?

All of a sudden we heard a voice. "What are you two doing?" We both turned and saw Sara standing in one of the kitchen entrances.

Ethan back away. "What are you doing up Sara?" I asked.

"I woke up and you weren't next to me. So I came downstairs and I heard noise in the kitchen." She said.

"Oh I'll be right up sweatheart." I said. "Let me just..." Ethan took the plate away.

"I've got this. Go with Sara." He said.

I nodded. I headed towards Sara. "Good night Ethan." Sara said.

"Goodnight ladybug. Good night Paige." He said.

"Good night." I said not turning back and heading upstairs to put Sara to bed.