Chapter 2

Ethan POV

I was too tired of dealing with incompetent people. I got home from the office and wanted to see how the nanny search was going.

My little sister wouldn't talk to any of the nanny's we've hired so far. She would barley talk to anyone. Everyone Mrs. Nelson approved of didn't seem to click with Sara. She would tell me about a good candidate, they would have excellent resumes but Sara didn't seem to like them.

Ever since my parents died in a car accident last year, it's been hard. I immediately took over the company and I was Sara's legal guardian. I was fresh out of business school and my dad prepared me for this role all my life. I was prepared to take over the company but not Sara.

We hardly ever talked. I remember how close we used to be. Now it seems like we grow farther apart everyday.

Being the CEO was very challenging, even tho I was prepared to do this job, I didn't have the experience my father did. Thankfully I had John Adams by my side, he was my father business partner and his family and I were pretty close. In fact his wife said she had a great candidate in mind to help out with Sara.

Sara has problems with her speech ever since our parents died. She was also dyslexic, so she needed a lot of help with school. Thankfully they had a great program in her academy.

She also had a lot of problems communicating and opening up to people, which made me worry about her constantly.

I heard a knock on my door, "come in" I said. Mrs. Nelson came in. "Mrs. Nelson how was the interview with the girl Mrs. Adams suggested?" I asked her.

"Well She's a good student, but I don't think she'll make a good nanny." She said.

"I see." I said. I stood up from my office chair and looked outside. I saw a young women sitting with Sara on the swing set. She was talking to Sara and Sara was laughing. I haven't seen her laugh since my parents died. She wasn't just laughing she was cracking up. Then I saw her talk to the young women. I couldn't believe this. I've sent Sara to therapy and no one has ever achieved this from her. "Mrs. Nelson, who's the young women sitting next to Sara on the swings?" I asked her.

Mrs. Nelson came up next to me and looked out the window. "Oh that's the girl I just interviewed. I told her to leave. I'm so sorry Mr. Anderson. I'll have her taken off the premises immediately." She said. Marching towards the door.

"No. Mrs. Nelson. I would like to have a word with her." I said. I made my way down the stairs and to the playground. As Mrs. Nelson and I approached, I saw the young women getting scared. She immediately stood up from the swing. Sara looked up at her and then looked at us and frowned.

When I reached her Mrs. Nelson started yelling at her "Miss Evans I thought I made it clear that you were to leave the premises immediately." She said.

The girl looked so nervous. She was a senior in UCLA right? That's what Mrs. Adams told me. She looked really young for her age.

She stuttered "I'm I'm so sor sorry. I didn't mean to cause any trouble. I'll leave immediately." She said.

"No" Sara and I said at the same time.

"Miss Evans if you don't mind I would like to speak with you in private. Please follow me" I told her. She looked nervous but she followed me.

I looked at Sara and she looked worried. I winked at her and she smiled. I'm sure she knew what I was doing.

We reached my office and we both sat down. "Miss Evans" I said looking at her. She was sitting down in front of me.

"Paige" she corrected me.

"Paige. I looked over you resume and you don't seem to have any experience with child care" I said looking over her resume. "This is why Mrs. Nelson didn't think you were a good candidate." I said. She looked sad. I felt like she's heard this before. "However, Sara seems to like you. I'm prepared to put you to the test to see if you're adequate to be Sara's nanny. You see Sara has a few issues she needs to work thru, she's Dyslexic and she has sever communication problems. What did surprise me was the way she acted around you. She normally doesn't act that way around people, so I'm willing to give you a chance." I said.

"Mr. Anderson, thank you for considering me for this job. However, I don't know if can do it. I don't want to disappoint you or Sara. You should probably hire someone who is cable and has experience." She said looking down at her shoes.

Who was this girl? People in this world were not like her. She was too kind and sweet. People are going to eat her up. "Rule number one, never let your opponent know your weak" I said.

"I'm sorry?" She asked looking at me confused.

"Miss Evans, you shouldn't ever doubt yourself and you definitely should never give someone the opportunity to insult you in anyway. If Mrs. Nelson or anyone else for that matter says you're not good enough, prove them wrong. This is a dog eat dog world and if you go out into the world like that, they are going to eat you alive."

She sighed "you're probably right Mr. Anderson, but I'm used to it" she said with a sad smile. What did she mean she was used to it? Before I could ask she continued "I am however grateful for the job opportunity. If I can still take it, I will try my best to not let you down." She smiled at me. She had such a sweet smile but I could see pain behind that smile.why was that? For some reason I felt the need to protect her.

"Yes Paige. You may take the job. We will start off with a two week trial period and we'll work our way from there. Ok?"

"Ok" she said smiling at me once again.

"You'll start tomorrow. Mrs. Nelson will give you the details and if you have any questions feel free to ask me" I said. I didn't usually get this close to the nanny's. Mrs. Nelson, usually deals with them. There was just something about her.