Chapter 31: It's up to you

Helena Walton's POV

"Adam we need to talk," I said holding his gaze. If I was going to stop exercising and follow a healthy diet, I couldn't hide it anymore.

"Are you okay?" a frown appeared on his beautiful face "Oh right you went to see the DR." He stood up and took my hand in his helping me up as well. "Don't scare me, Lena, what's going on?"

I smiled a little, loving how caring he was and how worried he got when it came to me or anyone else he loves. I glanced at Emily and my mother and saw them on the porch playing and laughing together. Taking in a deep sigh and releasing it before looking back at Adam, I turned around putting up a brave face. I led the way to the wooden chairs in the garden and sat down on one. Adam followed suit and sat across from me. He was quiet but I knew there were a million questions going on in his mind.

"I can't get pregnant" I blurted out not really knowing where to start.

"What? What do you mean? Is that why you went to see the doctor? But I told you not to stress about it, we'll have a baby when we do."

His tone wasn't reproaching, it was clear he was sad I went to the clinic without him and kept him in the dark. I played with my fingers not able to meet his gaze.

"Lena why didn't you tell me? I always felt there was something wrong with you, but you kept telling me you were okay. Deep down I didn't believe you but I didn't want to pressure you... I thought you'd tell me when you were ready."

"And I am now. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I mean, you've been through so much, I didn't want to add to it."

"Look Lena, whether you can get pregnant or not, that won't change the fact that I'm madly in love with you! I'll only be sad because you won't have children of your own and I know how much you love kids. But we have Emily, and you've been nothing but a great mother to her, even better than her own real mom. You love her like your flesh and blood, and she's so attached to you I'm sure if Amanda comes back she won't go with her."

At this point I had tears rolling down my cheeks; I looked back to where Emily was and smiled faintly. Everything he said was true; I loved her like my own and wouldn't change a thing about it. I didn't mind putting my career on hold for her, and I would give her the world if I could.

"Lena, you are what I need in my life. You are my one and only. I don't want you to stress about this, I want you to know that I'll always be by your side."

"I know Adam, I know you will. It will take time, but I'll be able to have kids one day. And when I do" I pointed to the house "I'll fill up this house with so many little monster kids that'll you'll run away from us" we both burst in laughter and Adam pulled me to him securing me close to his heart with his strong arms.

We sat like that for a while, with me on his lap and my head on his chest. We were silent and I could hear his heartbeat in my ear. If I could I would stop time and remain like that forever. This is my happy place.

I told him everything Doctor Harley said, and assured him there wasn't anything wrong with me except for my weight. We decided to both change our lifestyle and make sure I get to the right weight together. Adam even decided to set a working timetable, he'll do his best to be home by five in the afternoon and spend the rest of the evening with us.

I was about to get up from his lap and go check on Emily but Adam stopped me. I paused and looked into his eyes realizing he had something he needed to say.