Chapter 14

Chapter 14: White Bird

This answer was clearly beyond Lisa’s expectations. She was dazed for a moment.

Upon carefully recalling the past, she really…didn’t seem to have ever told him to become a musician! At the time, her biggest hope for him was just to pass a math exam.

She looked at Jungkook in confusion. He seemed to have sank into some distant memory. “I remember in the 2nd year of middle school, the school choir represented our school by participating in a performance in the city. One time after playing basketball, I just happened to pass by the choir room and heard a person practicing inside. At that time, there weren’t many people left in at the school. I wanted to find out who would stay so late to sing so I went to take a look.”

Lisa was a little alarmed. “That wouldn’t have been me, right?”

Jungkook laughed. “You were singing White Bird. The scene at that moment was just like a painting. Against an orange sky, a young girl was gazing into the distance and absorbed in her singing. For a split second, I almost actually saw wings spread out from your shoulders.”

That was also his first time realizing that music could hold such power.

Lisa stared at him, eyes full of astonishment. She had no idea that her secret practices back then had been discovered by her little desk mate. Recalling Jungkook’s description just now, she somewhat self-deprecatingly laughed. “It’s a pity the little girl was too fat and ruined the beautiful painting.”

Jungkook lightly laughed and looked at her, “Actually it was alright. I just felt a little worried you wouldn’t be able to fly off the ground.”

Lisa, “…”

Listening to the just first half of Jungkook’s words was enough.

She blinked her lashes and stood up from the floor.

The sky in the distance was pitch black. She raised her head, looked at the sky as she had done in the past, and began to sing, “I want a pair of wings, to fly through the air like a bird, following the wind to welcome the rays, and head anywhere.”

Her bright voice gradually disappeared into the night. She lowered her head and looked at Jungkook to speak, “Back then, the choir teacher recommended me to be the lead singer so I secretly practiced, but ultimately, I was still dismissed by the school president. He said my figure wasn’t too good.”

While she was aware of her chubbiness, she had hoped that she could sing even better and use her voice to win over everyone. In the end, the school president had still chosen some tall, skinny girl, whose name she couldn’t even remember anymore, to lead the chorus.

“He probably also worried I wouldn’t be able to fly off the ground.”

“Pu.” Jungkook laughed quietly and stood up with her. “You’re so graceful now. You’ll definitely be able to fly.”

Lisa lifted her brows and laughed, “I’ve decided. I’m going to sing White Bird at the next competition.

Jungkook nodded his head. “Mm, singing a nursery rhyme is indeed quite unexpected.”

Lisa, “…”

White Bird was extremely popular in the 70s and was sung by Ballad Queen Yoojin. Afterwards, because of the catchy tempo, quite a few popular singers sang their own covers. Even later, it was added into her middle school music textbook.

To bluntly say she was going to be singing a nursery rhyme was really insulting his emperor rank musical accomplishments!

Jungkook watched her expression turn as if she had swallowed a fly. Then he laughed and rubbed her head. “Don’t give yourself so much pressure. Even more, don’t feel so compelled to compare yourself with others. As long as everyday you’re doing better than the previous day, that’s enough.”