Gone

Disclaimer: this is a fanfic! I do not own these characters, (I have added a few of my own original characters which will be obvious if you've read kotlc) any of the videos, or the cover! (Or Keefe's letter)

Hope y'all enjoy!  (this starts right after Unlocked)
~~~

"I'm back!" Sophie yelled, as she opened the door to her home, Sandor following after her, stopping to take his post by the door.

Breathing a sigh of relief, she noticed her mother smiling contentedly by the dining table, it was a nice sight to see after the many worries of the day she'd just lived through. After a very tiring day she was ready to rest. Well, first she would update her parents, and than Keefe on all of the news. But afterwards... maybe she could figure out a way to block out the never ending worries? Sadly she couldn't see that happening. Though she might as well try anyways.

What worries? Oh how about the fact that every single member of the black swan believed she had just started a war with a dangerous group of elves. Yeah... that seemed very stress-worthy.

"You're back Sophie, how did it go?" Edaline said with a bright smile, as she walked towards her and snapped out of her trance.

Sophie flashed a smile at Edaline, "It went okay... but where's Grady? I have to tell you guys what Mr. Forkle said. 

Edaline glanced around, "I haven't seen him in a while, I'll go out to the pasture and look for him, how about you check around the house." She said and swiftly walked out the backdoor.

"Grady?" Sophie called out after a moment, walking around the house slowly.

"Im here," Grady said quietly from the stairs.

Sophie glanced up at him, for a moment he looked sad, scared even. His whole demeanor had sunk, deflated, lost all regality.

"Dad is something wrong?" Sophie asked, worry pricking at her insides. Had Mr. Forkle already told them what happened? No... that wouldn't make sense. So... what could it be? 

"No... no. Everything is just fine Sophie." Grady said, looking at her with such sadness in his eyes that it broke her heart.

"No it's not." Sophie said, walking quickly up the stairs, concern edging at her mind.

"Just don't worry about me." Grady said gruffly, his calm stature appearing again, a gentle look in his eyes as all sadness was swept away. Only remnants of a frown reminded her why she was worried.

"Grady, you know who you remind me of?" Sophie said after a moment of analyzing her father, who in turn perked up at her next words.

"And you might hate me for saying this, But.. Keefe. He was always acting like I shouldn't care about him, he didn't want me to waste my thoughts on him. Just like you right now. You guys want to protect me. But I'm not fragile, I'm the moon lark. I can take it. And hey, it's always worth it to worry about someone you care for." Sophie said, with a light smile. Hoping to bring some happiness back into Grady's eyes. But he stayed silent. She almost thought he wouldn't respond when he finally opened his mouth to
speak.

"That boy means a lot to you... doesn't he?" Grady asked, watching her through sad eyes as she nodded.

"Of course. We're good friends. And that reminds me, I have to talk to Keefe about something. First I'll tell you and tha-"

"You won't be talking to Keefe, Sophie." Grady said quietly, interrupting her speech.

"Fine, I'll talk to him tomorrow. I guess I should get some sleep first." Sophie said rolling her eyes at the very obvious fact that she wouldn't be able to sleep if she had so much to worry about!

"No. Sophie. You won't be talking to him for... awhile."

What? Was Grady back to hating Keefe or was this his way of protecting her from his power? That didn't even make sense.

"Grady I promise we'll be careful, besides it's only transmitting. It's completely safe." Sophie said, assuring him. Was this what he was so worried about?

"No... Sophie. I mean... he's gone." Grady said. His last word seemed to repeat inside her head, not registering, a word so familiar yet seemed so foreign now.

"Gone." Sophie repeated the word, still confused over what it meant.

"Yes." Grady said, and than pointed towards her room.

"Go in there. He left something for you, I'll get Sandor to stay out. I think you'll want to be alone for a little while." Grady said, nudging her towards her room.

Still confused Sophie nodded at him, wandering towards her room. She opened her bedroom door too reveal a newly dyed Iggy.

Sophie smiled, walking over too the colorful imp who sat in his cage staring at her. For some reason the cage was on her bed, why would Dex...

Her thoughts faltered when she noticed an envelope next to the imps cage. She stared at it for a second, as if it might disappear. When it didn't she picked it up, pushing Iggys cage away slightly as she settled on the bed too read.

To the Mysterious Miss F!

Keefe. Of course. She felt a smile curl onto her lips at the familiar nickname he had given her. He must have snuck in here and left a letter for her, dyed Iggy and walked out of here. That was what Grady had meant. He was gone for now. Temporary. Right? Shaking the thoughts out of her head she began reading more, surprisingly Keefe's handwriting seemed neat, but with his own style and flare peaking out through every curve of each letter.

Ugh. I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes. And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe Fails. But I swear—that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

Sophie furrowed her eyebrows at this, what was he getting at? He hadn't done anything crazy... had he? Worry clouded her thoughts, her former smile sinking into concern.

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just... trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad. There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. And I CAN'T control them—just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them. So... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to. And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me down-and since I know how stubborn you are, I want you to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger. I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you. That's why you have to stay away. Well, there are a lot of reasons.
So again, please, just... trust me, okay? And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know. Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me. It'll be better for everyone that way. You'll see.
Love, Keefe

Sophie dropped the letter, her thoughts whirling. She sat frozen, hardly allowing herself to breathe. Keefe was... gone? Shock paralyzed her whole body as her mind processed this thought.

"No." Sophie muttered, sure she had to have gotten it wrong. This was all a misunderstanding right? Maybe she'd read it wrong... or maybe it was a joke. Yes. A joke, that's what it had to be.

It had to be a joke.

Cause this? Keefe leaving? Never seeing him again? If that were true... if this was real...

She'd never survive the coming war.