Phil's POV

Locking my gaze onto nothing in particular I allowed myself to get lost in my thoughts. After my less-than-friendly father son conversation (which had seemed like a good idea at the time) I was captivated by my abundance of thoughts and memories of my complete blunder. How could I have been that stupid? He probably only wanted to talk it out; maybe he even accepted me now.

No Phil, you can't afford to think like that. He said he didn't accept you. He walked out and nothing can change that. Not some shitty phone call to say a feeble sorry.

But even as I was thinking things like this I was still clouded with the idea that all this could have gone so much better. Was this my fault for not giving him time to talk? Was it his fault for starting this in the first place? Does it even matter who is at fault here? What's done is done and I can't take back what I just said. All I can do now is apologize.

Why should I apologize? It's him!

***

I don't really recall how long I argued subconsciously with myself but it must have been quite a while as I was only dragged out of my internal feud when Dan shook me rather violently.

Wow, did I really drift off that much?

"What, sorry? Must have drifted off." I said, my thoughts still vacant.

***

 70 minutes had passed since I last looked at the clock and only now was I explaining the phone call to Dan in detailed description. However, as I had been so caught up in thinking if it was the right thing to do, I'd forgotten the majority of what I'd said so it ended up in quite the opposite of chronological order. Nevertheless, Dan didn't seem to get too lost off; neither saying or doing much the entire time I was speaking. He just nodded. This was pretty unusual for Dan as he usually interrupted my every explanation with far too many questions on the subject. But this time was different. At the places I paused for breath or too think of what I would say next he would nod politely or offer a quiet "hmm" or "yeah," as if to give approval for what I was saying.

I found it pretty comforting that he thought this was the best way to go about things: ask questions later; explain first. However, I began to wonder if he was even listening or if he was lost in his own little world when I finished with the sentence, "and then you arrived," and he didn't say anything. Not even a little nod. Had he even processed a single word I just said? Or had he just used this time to his own advantage and got transported to a daydreamed fantasy about some fictional universe (I find that's what he is usually thinking about).

"Oh my god Phil, I'm gay." Dan said and instantly clapped his hand to his lips.

Well, I was swiftly proved wrong. He was not at all thinking about dragons or Katniss Everdeen.

Phil, Dan just said he's gay and you're thinking about dragons.

Wait? Dan's gay? Oh my god! Oh. Wow. That was not what I was expecting him to say. Does that mean he can kiss me now? Am I the first to know? Is this what he's been hiding the entire time?

As my thoughts spiralled out of control I finally realized I hadn't actually replied and I'd left him feeling unsure of my reaction to his evidently huge secret. So I concluded I'd do the thing I usually do in times of uncertainty. I looked him in the eye and attacked him with a huge hug.

I didn't say anything because there wasn't anything that needed to be said. He was still Dan. He was still my absolute best friend in the entire world. He was still amazing.

For a while we just sort of lay on each other in the most awkward position ever but I couldn't really picture anything better to be happening right now. Dan was gay. He looked so happy and judging by the slight adorable giggle he was letting out next to my ear I guessed he was feeling it too.

I pulled away from the hug and balanced each arm on either side of him and connected our gazes.

Kiss him right now.

Every part of me screamed it was the right thing to but internally I still wasn't sure. Just because he came out doesn't give me the right to go ruining our friendship with my feelings.

No, this can not happen. Not yet anyways.

A/N-- SORRY THIS IS SO LATE. SORRY. I was busy so yeah sorry about that but yeah they almost did the kissy kissy and I am certain that there will be a lot more of that coming pretty soon. ooooo spoilers. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and again sorry about it being so late but still, it's here now so pls no muder of me. Cool okay BYEEE.