Chapter 39: Laxus' Return

Y/n's POV

Laxus asked Natsu if Hades was Master's enemy. Hades asked if Laxus was related to Master. But Laxus berates him as a reply for his disrespect towards Mavis, menacingly saying that they should be making a grave for Hades too to pay their respects, and Hades simply, stated his surprise that Makarov still has such relatives before they stare one another down. They both end up in a duel.

I decide to help him in the battle with an Elemental Dragon Roar. Hades seemed to be taken aback from my sudden aid. He decided to re-equip his undamaged cape, stating that since I joined it would be easier to use some standard magic. I knew exactly what he was talking about. He again removed his eyepatch, activating his Demon's Eye. He stated that he would now show the others "Abyss of Magic", too, which he says is far beyond their wildest imaginations.

He started to create demons from the rubble like he did last time to defeat me. I looked at Natsu and the others. They were probably scared.

"Hey, it's—"

"I know," Natsu said, interrupting me.

"Fear is not evil. It aids us by showing our weakness so we can work on it. We might all be scared now, but we can accept our fear and fight back. We cannot give up, now," he said.

Wow, Natsu had learned a quite important life lesson and was showering others with the wisdom. I had never been prouder of him. The others seemed to feel better, too.

3rd Person's POV

Meanwhile, Happy and the other exceeds were looking for the source of Hades' endless magic power. They run into the source of magic power, which turned out to be his actual heart. Mini transforms into the Battle Mode shift and attacks it, destroying it, causing Hades to now take damage.

A while before, Zeref awakened and uttered the word "Acnologia". He then unleashed a dark wave that killed Zancrow and left Meredy and Juvia in an unconscious state. He felt remorse for what he had done once again while Doranbolt, standing nearby, looked on in shock at what he heard Zeref say. He later reported back to Lahar, and they evacuated.

On the island, Ultear restores the Tenrou tree with her magic, letting the fairies regain their energy. All of the fairies combined their spells and used it on Hades for the final time, marking his defeat. As Natsu gave out a shout, the sun breaks on Tenrou Island.

The lesser Mages of Grimoire Heart come storming in, while chasing Happy, Mini and Carla, though they run away at the sight of the other Fairy Tail Mages, including Makarov, who just arrived. They celebrate their victory as well as Laxus' return. Afterwards, they head back to camp except for Makarov who approaches Hades. When Hades reasons that it was all to create the Ultimate World of Magic and to acquire the "The One Magic", Makarov leaves Hades, reminding his former master of all of the things he learned about Magic being alive from Hades himself. The Fairy Tail Mages start relaxing at camp as Juvia returns from failing to chase Zeref. Meanwhile, the Grimoire Heart ship takes off with only Rustyrose, Kain, and Hades. Zeref suddenly enters the ship, blaming Grimoire Heart for the use of Acnologia. He then predicts the end of the current era.

Hades quickly orders the two to bring him the keys for Zeref's awakening. However, Zeref states that there is no need since he is already awakened and was never asleep. He then continues his explanation, saying that he had seen countless people die in war 400 years ago, and realized how valuable lives really are. That also started the curse of his body, taking lives against his will. To stop such effects, he has to forget the importance of lives. Zeref continues by stating that they are the ones who caused him to summon Acnologia, and he will punish them. Before Hades can ask him anything else, Zeref announces the two crimes they committed and then prepares a spell that causes Hades' demise.