76. I see Your Face In Every Crowd

The title is inspired by a song called Holy Ground by Taylor Swift.

The further we got away from the group, the more Poe became uneasy. I could feel his emotions towards Monroe, and I seemed to have been right. He cares, just too much. I knew trying to ease his mind was out of the question as Monroe and I headed for an odd color tent. There was only one tent that stood out among the crowd, and it was purple among the sea of reds, yellows, and oranges. Having a clue of what it was and who was underneath it, Monroe was the first to enter the tent as we met someone we hadn't seen in years. The woman looked up from her fabric loom, and her eyes were bright, along with the wide smile on her face. 

Standing up from the left side, she crossed over the tent's main area and hugged Monroe. Returning the wide smile he had given her, it made me somewhat happy she was still here, alive and well. The man hadn't seen his adoptive mother in over a decade. Not since he fled Sylas after what happened with Bex. Rocking him back and forth, her eyes never graced my presence until Monroe stepped to the left and her hands flew to her mouth. Her expression told all: it was as if she had seen a ghost. Looking to Monroe and then back to me, she pointed as he nodded. The faint image of my mother rushed through her mind as I scrunched my nose and shrugged cutely.

"There she is. Oh, I can't believe the resemblance." She sounded shocked, but I could feel her happiness and see it as well as I leaned over to hug her short frame. If I ever had to picture what my grandparents looked like, I'd picture her and her husband, who lived in Sylas at the time. Stepping back in time, she clapped her hands together. Looking past her to Monroe, and turned at an angle to see his expression, and while doing so, she caught our true intentions of coming to her. Her smile fell, and all I could feel was remorse. Looking back towards me, she caught my frown as she led me towards a chair.

"It's nothing you've done wrong, dear. All good things come to an end, and unfortunately, this war's showing that. But as I can see, you both still have hope."

"You have no idea-" Monroe muttered before I threw a metal cup at his body. He caught it with ease before setting it down somewhere. Giving me an odd look, I held out a hand to stop her from questioning it.

"It's a long story that needs to stay...secretive. But right now, we need to get a message through."

"Hon, you do understand how hard it is to get a message anywhere? No thanks to those bastards that wear red." Giggling at her words as Monroe did too, she huffed out a sigh and smiled. Glancing at Monroe, I nodded once as he stepped forward, pulling a device out from his pocket. She nearly fell from her stance as she took it from his hands.

"You still have this!? Your father was supposed to destroy it years ago!"

"I had Monroe take it from his Vault a year ago...just in case we needed it."

"Turns out, we do," Monroe said as he finished my train of thought before kneeling beside me as the woman examined the device. The only device left would block out every locator and every communication device within the First Order's computer systems.

"They'll kill you if they find out-."

"Killing Amara's the last thing on their minds right now, trust me," Monroe muttered under his breath once more as I smacked him hard in the chest. I watched him rub it gently. Taking my hand, she opened her mind to me. And it seemed like Stefan had already updated her on everything in my life.

"I understand everything now, dear. As you've heard before-" She spoke with a smile before I interrupted her.

"No one is born evil." A lesson that I'll never tire of hearing. Smiling at my words, she leaned off the table she was against and searched her small tent for the object of possession. The only way I could ever communicate with the Resistance anywhere. Watching her set the device up, I could feel the heavy yet strong pull to the dark side, mostly from Kylo Ren. Monroe and I could've figured out the same thing: Ren wanted to know where I was.