Chapter 21

Chapter 21

*Hazel Murray* 

                The interviewer welcomed me and the boys and shook our hands. I straightened my skirt as I sat down in the couch. I crossed my legs and sat straight. I was incredibly nervous. There was a camera, which I was accustomed to, but they told me not to look at it, which I wasn't accustomed to. Plus, we had an audience and I wasn't alone on stage, which was really weird.

"Welcome, welcome..." The guy said. "I am James, and I will be interviewing you tonight."
"Hello, James." Niall, goofy as always, said.
"We have the pleasure to have One Direction on stage tonight, accompanied by their new opening act. She's a young lady, who is quite pretty, if I may say." James continued with a flirty smile.

                I blushed and looked at my shoes. 

"So, Hazel, shall we start by you?" James asked.
"Sure..." I managed to say.
"Okay, well, first of all, tell us a bit of you." James said.
"Well, my name is Hazel Murray, I'm from Cedar City, Utah. I am seventeen years old. I play guitar since like forever. Idem for singing. I love Ed Sheeran's music and I did  a lot of acoustic covers on my channel on YouTube. I just graduated from my High School."
"You're seventeen and you graduated?" James asked.
"Yes." I nodded. 
"So, tell me Hazel, how did all this happen?" James asked, motioning the boys and the set.
I chuckled. "To be honest, I wonder the same thing."

                That gained me a few laughs from the audience, and from James.

"Such a cute and funny one."

                Okay... Is he trying to flirt with me? Harry, who was sitting next to me on the couch tensed visibly and gritted his teeth while sending glares to the interviewer. Discretely, I touched his arm with my fingertips. He relaxed slightly, but still looked pissed.

"I did a cover of 'Lego House' by Ed Sheeran and a girl commented something on the video that really touched me and she asked if I could do a cover of 'Little Things' by One Direction, because it was her favorite song. I did it without thinking twice. Then the same girl, named Abigail Steven, tweeted Niall and showed him the video. I don't have a clue why Niall watched it though." I said, shooting a questioning glance at him.
"Well, I was curious. In the girl's tweet, she said that it was worth it. Plus I was bored." Niall chuckled. "So I watched it and guess what? Abigail was right: Hazel is worth it."

                I blushed and mumbled thank you.

"This is like a dream!" James said. "Then what happened?"
"Well, I was doing a twit-cam and then I got a call. Since I was answering questions, I wanted to let the phone call go on my message box. Plus, the only people that has my cell's number were my parents, and they wouldn't call me on my phone because we were in the same house. But the people who asked me questions told me to answer it. Little did I know that it was Simon Cowell calling me." I explained.
"How did you react?"
"I thought it was a joke." I honestly answered. "I mean, why would Simon Cowell be calling me?"
"Just a small question..."
"Like all the others." I said to James, before realizing how rude it was.

                The boys laughed at my reply, and so did the audience. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything, it's just that it seemed illogical to me that he announced his question before asking it, since it was technically his job to ask us questions and that we knew he would be asking some, and... focus, Hazel, F-O-C-U-S.

"Adorable, you are, Hazel." James said, clearly not disturbed by my comment. "So, here it is: why do you call the people following you on your channel just people? Why don't you call them fans?"
I was taken aback by his question. "Well, because I don't expect having fans, just maybe some people appreciating my voice and my covers..."
"At this point, I think we can all agree that you do have fans, Hazel Murray." James said.
"Um, thanks..." I said, unsure what to say.

                Fortunately, James jumped to his next question.

"How long did it take to convince your parents to let you leave?"
"Well, my mom, at least two hours..." I joked, making the audience laugh. "My dad, actually was quite easy to convince. Since it took two hours to convince my mom, I thought it's take two months to convince my dad, but he immediately accepted."
"Do you miss your parents?" James asked.
I frowned. "Of course I do! Why wouldn't I miss my parents?"
"Well, you're on Tour with a really famous boys band, you get to see amazing thing, and now you're famous too. I'm sure you're having the time of your life right now. Plus, who doesn't like having some vacations from their parents?" James finished.
My frown deepened. "It's not because I'm living a dream that I don't miss my parents. Not seeing them for a really long time is really hard for me, as I'm sure it is for the boys who don't get to see their families as much. I love my parents, and I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't of them. So yes, I'm having a lot of fun on Tour with the boys, but I can get homesick and I do miss my parents." I said, a bit... irritated by our interviewer.

                One Direction nodded.

"She's right, even though it's our second worldwide Tour, and we're more used to our parents absence, it's still hard being away from them all the time." Louis said, supporting me. 
"Okay, next question: how is it to be on Tour with the boys, Hazel?" James asked.
I chuckled, glad he changed subject, because I could feel myself becoming emotional at the thought of my parents. "Well, it's amazing, of course. These boys are goofs and are absolutely hilarious. Besides, I met their girlfriends, and we're all really good friends now. Being forced to live with somebody in a Tour bus can have that effect on people." I said, earning a nudge from Niall, who was on my right. I chuckled at his offended face and gave him a big grin. "Don't worry Nialler, I love you all."

                I was the only close enough to Niall to hear his answer. "We all know you love one a bit more." It was my turn to nudge him. What if the microphone caught that? Niall made a face to me and I stuck my tongue at him.

"And, boys, how is it to be on Tour with Hazel?"
Zayn fake gasped. "It's horrible, really. She makes us clean the bus, she cooks pancakes for dinner, she's really organised and responsible, seriously, she's awful." 

                All the One Direction boys laughed while turned crimson.

"No, but seriously, Hazel is really nice." Liam said. "It's quite nice to have somebody a bit more responsible than those idiots on the bus. I think it's a hell lot more hygienic since she arrived."
Niall jumped in. "Zayn mentioned them, but you don't understand how amazing her pancakes are. Like, French pancakes, with fruits and whipped cream, and they're just so good." He sighed dreamily, clearly hungry for pancakes.
"How is she, as a person?" James asked.
Harry answered that question. "Hazel is really shy at first, but she's a treasure when you get to know her. She has a bright intelligence and an indisputable logic. She's kind and sweet, and she is open minded."

                Every words seemed to be so sincere it made me blush, just like every time Harry complimented me.

"And she's really modest." Louis added. "She hates attention and compliments."

                That made me blush even more.  I didn't know these guys got me figured out...

"And she's really, really pretty." James said, winking at me. "Looks like she's a keeper, guys!" 

                My nose cringed in disgust. Harry tensed again beside me. I knew he didn't enjoy this interview with the pushy and flirty interviewer. Especially since he was so rude.

"So, tell me Hazel, are you in a relationship right now? Must be hard having a boyfriend and being so far away from him..."

                And here we go...

*Harry Styles*

"So, tell me Hazel, are you in a relationship right now? Must be hard having a boyfriend and being so far away from him..."

                I saw Hazel sigh and I tensed up again. I swear to God, if that twat doesn't stop flirting with Hazel, I will punch him square in the jaw... I was already fuming because of all the comments he made. I'm not sure Hazel caught them all, but I did, and I was pissed. I think Liam on my left, sensed it because he send me a warning look.

"Um.... well, I don't have a... boyfriend."

                I clenched my fists. I knew was the one who suggested that we keep our relationship low for a few weeks, but hearing her saying was a Hell lot harder than I thought it would be. Moreover, seeing James' lustful glint in his eyes when he looked at her... I just wanted to scream that I was her boyfriend and that he could stop flirting with her now. But I couldn't. Because I was the one who suggested to wait. WHAT AN IDIOT!

"I thought a girl like you would have tons of admirers..." James continued, winking at her. "Plus, you live with five famous boys, and two of them are single. Don't tell me there is nothing going on in that way..."

                He actually looked like that's what he wanted to hear. What a little...

"No, nothing in that way..." Hazel said, but I knew he enough to tell that she was lying. 

                She glanced at me and our eyes met. I was once again captivated by them. I smiled weakly at her and she returned the smile. I knew she hate this as much as I did.

"But I can say that I'm not available..." Hazel hesitantly said.
"Oh, so you did meet somebody..." James said and Hazel nodded. "Who is it?"
"If I wanted to say, I already would have. That's the problem with medias: you always want to know more about personal lives. Is that going to change anything in the way I sing?" Hazel asked, shaking her head.
"No, but..."
"Then I would appreciate if we could jump to another subject."

                James curiosity clearly was prickled and he wanted to know more about it. But he did as she said and jumped to another question. But Hazel didn't seem to be in the same mood as she was before. She seemed a bit irritated, and a lot more tensed than she was before. My hand was itching.

                As the questions flowed, Hazel answered them, putting a great act of smiles and grins, but on set you could sense her uneasiness and everybody was influenced by it. James was a bit less flirty, and us boys were certainly awkward.

                Soon enough, the interview was finished and we all stood up to leave when the cameras shut down. James shook our hands, Hazel last. When she turned around afterwards, he grabbed her wrist and spoke a few words to her.  Hazel winced, and I didn't know if it was because of what he said or if it was because he was grabbing her wrist too hard. I was about to go berserk, but Liam put a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. I glared at him, but when I turned around, Hazel was walking towards us.

"Let's go..." She said with unease. 

                She looked annoyed, irritated, slightly pissed, a bit disgusted and clearly tired. It was weird not seeing her so bubbly and happy. 

                We made our way to our car and sat down in silence. We knew Hazel wasn't exactly happy about her first interview. 

                I wasn't sure what to do. I really wanted to take her hand in mine, but I was terrified in how she would react. I mean, we've never seen Hazel acting so edgy, and I didn't know if she would just reject me. But after a few minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I took her hand in mine and I intertwined our fingers. I somehow felt her relax and I sighed in relief. Hazel put her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes.

                I was surprised by her sudden change. She looked so... flustered, but now that I took her hand, she was fine. All the tension in the car dropped and everything was a Hell better when she wasn't uncomfortable.

                It made me realize how much Hazel had an influence on everybody's mood.

*Hazel Murray*

                I thank the God Harry wasn't mad at me. When I saw the pissed and awkward look on his face when we were in the car, I thought we were already finished. I was scolding at myself, calling myself idiot, stupid... then Harry took my hand and I felt a lot better. I sighed in relief and thought that everything would be okay. 

                I put my head on Harry's shoulder and relaxed as I closed my eyes. That must have been the worst interview ever. Even if it was just my first one. Then I realized that this interview would be diffused and I cringed. What if people don't like me?

                Our car pulled next to our Tour bus. I got out and I followed Harry, my hand still in his. He pulled me to his bunk and we sat on his bed. Then, Harry pulled me into a huge hug and he kissed my forehead. I hugged him back, grabbing tightly his torso, and I inhale his scent. Harry smelled good. I couldn't quite decipher his odor, but I loved it. He smelled familiar and... safe.

"What is it?" Harry whispered in my hair.
"What is what?"
"I know you were uncomfortable for the interview, but something else is on your mind. What is it?"

                Harry knew me so well, and it's not as if we've known each other for long, but it sure felt like it.

"Well, I thought you were mad at me for the interview and the questions on the relationships..." I started.
Harry pulled away and looked at me straight in the eyes. "Hazel, you don't realize how impossible it is to be mad at you. I was mad at the interviewer." I said, gritting my teeth at the thought of James.
"And also, I remembered that the interview would be diffused, and I thought: 'What if people don't like me?'. And now I'm just really scared." I admitted.
Harry chuckled and kissed my cheek. "Hazel, just like it's impossible to be mad at you, it's impossible not to like you. I'm pretty sure you'll soon have a lot of fans called the Nuts."
"Why the Nuts?" I asked, confused.
"Well, first because your name is Hazel, so it's like hazelnut, and second you drive everybody absolutely nuts with your voice." Harry looked at me, then at my lips. He smirked. "Me the first."

                Then he kissed me.

                Kissing Harry was... magical. Like fireworks and explosions, and so many emotions. I wanted to jump everywhere and stay like that forever, with his warm arms around me. I thought it was only in the books that such reactions happened, but I now knew that it was real. When you kiss the one you love, you don't know how to react.

                The one you love? Yes.

                I was falling in love.

                I was falling in love with Harry Styles. And I was falling hard.

                And somewhat I wasn't scared at all. I knew Harry would be there to catch me. I smiled as my eyes locked with his when he broke the kiss.

*Harry Styles*

                I broke the kiss, even though I didn't want to. I kissed few other girls than her, but none of them had the same effect that Hazel had on me. It was like... I don't have the words.

"I hate to break this, love, but we have a show to attend tonight." I whispered, my voice husky.

                Hazel nodded, a smile stretching on her pink lips.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked, smiling at the sight of her beautiful grin.
"I just had a thought." Was all she answered.
"I hope it was nice..." I teased, slightly curios about it.
Her smile grew wider. "Yes it was."

❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣

                The show in Anaheim was long done and we were all in our bunks sleeping. Well, I was trying to sleep. 

                My mind was occupied thinking of Hazel.

                The way her face softened when she smiled. The way she cringed her nose when she was disgusted. The way her eyes sparkled when she laughed. The way her giggle was the cutest thing ever. The way she smelled like vanilla. The way her hair fell so naturally on her back. The way her skin looked so smooth. The way she was so small.

                All those ways that she was perfect.

                A soft knock on the wall of my bunk pulled me out of my conscious dreams about Hazel. I looked at the curtain that closed my bunk and saw a hand opening it. A dark figure popped in my bunk and I smiled softly.

"Hey..." I whispered.
"Hey, I'm sorry to wake you up."
"I wasn't sleeping. I couldn't."
"Me neither." 
"Why not?" I asked.
"Harry, I really missed my parents..." Hazel said. "I didn't want to stay alone and..."
I smiled at her even though she couldn't see me and cut her off. "Come here."

                I didn't have to ask twice. Hazel crawled in my bed and hugged me tightly as I put my arms around her. I kissed her soft hair and rested my chin on her head as she snuggled against my chest. I smiled when I saw how small she looked in my arms.

"Why couldn't you sleep?" Hazel asked.
"I was daydreaming." I answered.
"But it's night."
I chuckled. "Yes, but my thoughts were keeping me awake."
"What were you thinking about?"
"You."

                My lips find hers and I kissed her softly. 

"Will you be able to sleep now?" I whispered to her when I broke the kiss.
"Yes. What about you?" She replied.
"I'll sleep." I answered. "Good night Haze."
"Night, Hazza. Sweet night dreams."

                As I drifted to unconsciousness, I thought that falling asleep with the girl I loved in my arms would sure give me the best dreams ever.

MEDIA PICTURE: LILY COLLINS AS HAZEL
A/N: I feel like this chappy was crappy.... What do you think?