♕ 4 | 3 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 43ALEXANDER

Act 2 Chapter 43
ALEXANDER

By the time we stepped past the stone walls of Westyard, a frantic tension already lingered in the air. There was no way of knowing if Daggen's men had already arrived until we ran across them—or if we found the resting place of Draven's artifact newly empty.

Westyard was very clearly Paragonian—the tall, crammed-together structures without making the streets feel too tight, a sea of steeply angular roofs, and the abundance of horse-drawn carriages. The city's architecture was somewhat reminiscent of Ition's, only less blocky and tan-toned and more tediously ornate and elegant. Though both did have the same vibrant, thrumming feeling of life seemingly emanating from the very earth. That came from the citizens.

While Paragonia was more of a cultural melting pot than its neighbors, it had several landmarks and tourist attractions made famous by their integration in history. In particular, Westyard was a religious zenith of the east. Some even believed this was where the gods died, therefore imbuing the ground with a bit of their power. Others, such as myself, saw it as a way to profit off the curiosity of others. I saw more than a few streetside stands selling things like wards for evil spirits and overpriced jars of water from a stream said to hold the last tears Colanee cried. Utter bullshit. And yet there were lines in the street that blocked our way. Grumbling, Jaylah weaved through the crowds of tourists.

There was something mysterious about the city too, although that could just be the knowledge that an evil god's life-bending power was hidden somewhere deep within the streets, far from the curious eyes of the tourists. It was a strange feeling to know the surface of the city's dark religious mysteries had barely been scratched.

When we got to a break in the crowds at a fork in the main streets, Jaylah said distractedly, "Of course it had to be hidden here, the city with the most wealth of godly artifacts." She looked around, debating which path to take. "We will stay together and systematically comb through every single temple here until we uncover something out of the ordinary."

"Or until we see some familiar faces," I reminded her.

"Yes." It was a bit strained. "Hopefully they will lead us right to it." She said nothing more on the subject, but her tone was heavy with the numerous outcomes this treasure hunt in Westyard could have. Each more fatal than the last.

"Remember what the seer said: the artifact lays within Ariin's hands," Jaylah added, choosing the right side, which went deeper into the heart of the city. "If you see any place of worship to the earth god, warn me."

I made an incredulous sound. "The same seer who told you you might accidentally burn down the entire world? Pardon me if I'm not exactly convinced of her expertise. Besides, did you not think it was a bit suspicious that she knew we were looking for something—much less what we were looking for?"

As we turned a corner, she delivered me a flat black glare. "How else but through godly blessing could she have known? Do you believe Daggen has strange mystical women stationed out in every city, waiting for us to arrive so that they may give us advice to lead us astray?"