♕ 4 | 0 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 40JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 40
JAYLAH

Contrary to my worries, it was surprisingly easy to find Alexander. Or rather, for him to find me. I was just free from the cave when he appeared in my vision, the darkness of his clothing blending with the forest floor. The closer he walked, the more prominent the cut on his throat became. It was not enough to put him in any danger of bleeding out, but still: Daggen's men came closer to claiming his life than I expected.

"They're all dead," he said in answer to the question on my face. "I strangled three, broke two necks, killed one with his own blade and smashed one's head in with a rock."

"Only seven. That does not seem an adequate number of men to send after someone one has made their top priority."

Alexander shrugged, rolling down his sleeves. His knuckles did appear to be a bit bruised. "They were some of his best. It appears even strong men become weak to arrogance. The point is: we can rest easy for a bit. Surely he will send more before our journey is over, but no one knows our exact location anymore."

"Daggen may be arrogant but he is not stupid. He knows of my skill and yours."

Giving a huff of annoyance, he asked, "Look, do you want to see the mess I made with your own eyes? Knowing you, I suppose you might even like it."

"No," I trailed off, distracted by the thoughts of the thing in the cave at the forefront of my worries. "We have a job to complete in Valentou."

Dark brows knitting, he said, "You say that like the job is not your own idea."

"It was not." I hesitated, wondering how insane I was going to sound telling him what I saw. "There was a...thing in the cave I took shelter in. It spoke to me. Told me to retrieve it something, and it would not kill me. I think it was some older species of naga unlike the one we downed with the huntresses."

"Okay," he drew out, knowing the worst was to come. "And what did it want you to retrieve?"

"The thing in the cave was what slayed all those men on the trail, not the beast we killed. It said the men drove it from its home to steal its offspring as a trophy. I think it was wounded in the process. We must get the offspring back for it."

Giving a slow blink as if he was not sure he heard me correctly, he said, "Whatever happened to 'We need to keep moving, Alexander, or I will cut your throat for making us miss a spare ten minutes'?" Acting as me, he put on a terrible, breathy rendition of my voice.

"I am simply thinking ahead." I began to walk, gesturing for him to follow. "Use that minuscule brain, Khan: if the creature is desperate enough to enlist a mere human's help, there is room for me to obtain other things out of the deal once I have what it wants."

"Yeah? And what does some forest creature have that you want?"

"You shall see," I answered, not liking his condescending tone. "If you prove yourself good enough to steal what we need, that is."