♕ 1 | 3 | 1 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 130JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 130
JAYLAH

"How are the crop yields looking?"

"As we hoped," Antinoch answered her as she stood over Jaylah's desk. "As you requested, we planted twice as much as usual to compensate for the incoming conflict, and it seems on track to pay off."

"And the Bloodiron excavation in the south?"

"Our first shipment arrived two days ago. It is not a full supply to match the ones to come, but it gives us a taste of what to expect of the metal's properties."

Jaylah put down the reports of imported materials in the last half year. "We no longer have enough lumber to create upgraded ships due to Ermalai's refusal to import us goods."

"Well..." Antinoch sat halfheartedly, deep in thought. "We no longer have much wood, but we will have Bloodiron."

Jaylah straightened. "What are you saying—that we should build ships made out of Bloodiron? The Tilanic tried. Their ships were all too heavy."

"I know. I was going to suggest we invest in some sort of metal plating for the ships we create—wood bottoms and infrastructure, but the exterior would be sealed with Bloodiron. With the Tilanic's new method of unleashing steam for power, it would be much more efficient than manpower."

That would take significantly more effort to make, especially as Jaylah now had all her best engineers on producing firearms. But it was an idea, and she always needed new ideas. "Get in touch with Admiral Sotirios Athaniadis. He will be able to gauge whether that is possible. If it is, you have my blessing. We will move forth with it." They had no other better options and no more time.

"I will organize a meeting with him as soon as possible." Antinoch's eyes strayed from Jaylah to the untouched meal she had brought to her office. In all honesty, the only reason she requested it was so that no one became concerned for her. "You did not eat today."

"I am too busy to have an appetite right now." She prayed her stomach would not growl at that opportune moment.

Antinoch bent to inspect the food. "If you wish for me to test it for poison, I will gladly do it for you."

Was she that easy to see through? She wanted to say no, to completely shut Antinoch down while she still could, but her mouth would not make the words. Her stomach felt as empty as the rest of her.

"Here," Antinoch said gently, and held her hand out for the fork. As she chewed, Jaylah fully expected her to keel over in death. Her heart stuttered with every unexpected movement.

"See?" she asked, holding her hands up. "I am fine. You should eat."

"Perhaps in a bit. I was not lying when I said I have no appetite."