♕ 3 | 9 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 39ALEXANDER

Act 2 Chapter 39
ALEXANDER

To say Daggen's men were not pleased to see me was an understatement. The group of about ten men wearing Daggen's Bloodiron rings came out of hiding as soon as Jaylah slipped away, knowing I was not only aware of their presence, but also asking for it.

One of Daggen's men—Somov, a stocky-built soldier with coal-black hair to his shoulders—surged forward, putting his blade to my throat. I let him, even leaning into the blade a bit. That would come in handy later. "You worthless sack of shit, Khan," he spat, dark eyes alight with anger. "You were sent to assassinate the queen, not befriend her." It had been so long since I heard anyone but Jaylah speak in my native tongue.

"There is no befriending happening." Finally, I pushed his blade away in annoyance. "Though the time span of it has lengthened, the job is still easily manageable for me. But I have come to a realization: my services will be worth more to your master if I leech as much information as possible from her."

"Bullshit," said Somov.

"No. She is unstable, which will undoubtedly lead to larger slip-ups in the future. Some of which can be manipulated into our desired outcome."

"This is good news, but easily assumed from her past. Do you think you could get worthwhile intel about topics like the inner workings of her military strength and her trusted confidants in the court?" asked Yeleshev, one of Daggen's right hand men. Killing Jaylah must have been Daggen's highest priority for him to have sent such a close advisor.

"I've completed far more impossible tasks."

A beast of a man, Tolstobrof, spat on the ground and gave a humorless chuckle. "The bitch is notoriously closed off and ruthless as her father."

My voice dropped to a careful tone demanding them to challenge me. "Are you insinuating I'm incapable? If so, I am more than ready to give you a live demonstration."

"That won't be necessary," Yeleshev answered, waving a ring-laden hand. "What will be, however, is that the information you will take from her comes quickly. Are you still man enough to finish her off?"

"I'm insulted you believe that's a problem for me. I told you I would do it. As I am in a good mood, I will even allow you to watch for confirmation." In my mind, I calculated the time frame. "Meet me in Houissons. The girl will die there and your master will be sated."

"Glad to hear it." More sarcasm from Tolstobrof. "Shake on it."

"Not so fast. I have other terms."

A man in the back snorted at my audacity, shaking his head as if he felt sorry for me. "You son of a bitch."

"I want fifteen percent more pay for my troubles. Choose to not pay me, and you won't get your pretty little princess."

Cracking his knuckles, Somov mirrored my cold smile. "Perhaps you need the sense beaten into your arrogant head instead."

"Perhaps," I agreed. "Would you care to try? Keep in mind that your master did hire me for a reason."

"Ten percent," said Yeleshev, the most level-headed of the group.

That was what I wanted to begin with. "Deal. You'll get all the information you want relayed from me and Jaylah dies in Houissons." At least they'd stop breathing down my neck until then.

She would never have the opportunity to stab me in the back if I twisted the blade to her first. We shook on it and the deal was set.