♕ 1 | 3 | 8 ♕

Act 4 Chapter 138JAYLAH

Act 4 Chapter 138
JAYLAH

It had not even been a full day since war was declared and already Oceana was threatening to tear itself apart before their enemies could land on their soil. Jaylah's soldiers were flocking to each city to be sure each Navrikan war slave was freed. Of course, none of the rich liked this.

"We have just received word that a few of the heads of the Twelve Families are banding together to stage a coup, My Lady," said Kostos, Jaylah's new High Attendant. "And—"

"Why." She needed to hear something that was not sugarcoated or dulled down to mask just how bad things had become.

His lips thinned. "They find that your rule has been riddled with insanity and wish to end the threat you pose to Oceana, My Lady. In a few more days, we will have gathered enough intel to know exactly who to prosecute."

Hiding the way her insides were scrambling together, she leaned back in her seat. "There is no need. Invite them and their families to the palace for dinner tomorrow. I am sure we can figure something out."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

No one seemed to notice the fires flickering underneath the brass pigs until the twelve men were forced inside of them.

It was not very difficult to get all the heads of the families together—the most powerful tycoons in Oceanic business—the next day. Some were self-important, like the silver haired Periklis Anastidis, who owned most of the vineyards south of Naxaros. A few were loud but good-natured, like the captain of a hundred trading ships, Tryfon Stania. They were all present, and they were all smiling and complimenting her to her face while plotting her death just behind those shining eyes.

She had no time to root out the wrongdoers. She needed them gone, and she needed a swift, brutal message shown to all her subordinates across the island. That was why they all had to die.

All fell to chaos for a moment as her soldiers suddenly took ahold of the men at her signal and wrestled them away from their enraged families. They each made a metallic clang as their bodies were hoisted over the side of each pig and slammed to its bottom. It took three soldiers each to move the thick lids into place, sealing the men inside.

Because the fires had been steadily stoked over the past hour, the torture set in immediately. The shrieks of the burning men promptly overrode the crying of their wives. Was there a sound more beautiful?

There were several children standing behind their mothers' and grandmothers' skirts, barely shielded from the true scope of what was taking place. Temporarily forgetting her lovely judgement, Jaylah descended her dais to see them. Most of the older ones cowered, but there were several young boys that looked up at her with nothing but curiosity in their huge eyes. How many years until life's cruelties beat it out of them?