♕ 7 | 8 ♕

Act 1 Chapter 78JAYLAH

Act 1 Chapter 78
JAYLAH

Antinoch joined Jaylah in her office. It had been a rare moment of solitude; the only reason Ermalai was not badgering her under the guise of getting familiar with his future daughter-in-law was because he had not returned from Navrika. She balked a bit when she saw Jaylah was having a moment to herself, doubling into a hasty bow. "Please excuse my interruption, Your Majesty."

Jaylah knew what she was there for. "What have you found?"

"I am sorry to say that there is nothing in the census records for the name you seek. I looked through all the records from the largest cities—even ones on the other side of the island." She looked regretful. "It seems this Alexander Khan does not exist."

Ah, but Jaylah was all too aware of his existence, even now that they were parted.

Lowering her own, Jaylah kept the frown from her face. "You have merely looked through the large cities' records. What of all the others?"

"I noticed a pattern. No Navrikan slaves were shipped in to small towns. After all, only the rich can afford such amenities, and the rich do not live amongst peasants."

"I see." Jaylah scoured her memory for anything he mentioned about the location of his master's estate. He had said that the man who owned him was rich, but that could be a third of the population. She always suspected he was vague about his master's whereabouts on purpose, but she never pushed because she figured it was relatively useless information.

"You checked the census from ten years ago as well?" Aegeus Imperstor insisted on one every five years to mark Oceana's exponential growth due to the war slaves' arrival. Alexander would have been one year into his enslavement then. Ten years old.

"I did, Your Majesty."

Jaylah went back to her papers, but her eyes would not focus. "Search them a second time."

Antinoch's curious gaze lingered on her for a long moment. Then she bowed before leaving. "Yes, Your Majesty."