♕ 1 | 5 ♕

Act 1 Chapter 15JAYLAH

Act 1 Chapter 15
JAYLAH

Stenska may not have been the capital city, but its citizens seemed to be unaware of that. They gathered in the streets, wearing what looked like their cleanest, most expensive outfits, their hair done up in the braided hairstyle in current trend, some covered in colorful scarves. It made me overly aware of my own dark, unremarkable clothing.

But I soon understood that this was no everyday occasion when I heard a curly haired woman call to her friend, "Come, we must stand over there if we are to catch a glimpse of him."

I frowned, glancing down the street for the male figure they spoke of. All I saw was crowds of people congregating on either side of the road, waving handmade flags and bearing necklaces of fresh flowers in Ition's colors. Several young women jostled me as they attempted to push behind us. I delivered them a withering glare as Khan snorted.

"I've heard he owns more gold adornments than anyone else in the world," one of the girls behind us whispered. I frowned. Clearly, she had never seen me in my full glory.

"I heard he picks the most beautiful men and women to warm his bed," another girl said back. "Only the best for the King."

The King. Lorenzo Çenturion of Ition was many things. A surprisingly competent ruler. Certainly a partier. And most importantly, a familiar face.

"I must speak with him," I muttered in conclusion.

Khan gave me a strange look. "Who?" Apparently he was not as fluent in the Eastern Language as I was.

"Lorenzo Çenturion. The King."

He rolled his eyes so far back I feared they would be stuck that way. "Two of you. As if this could be any less enjoyable."

"Actually, I believe you will take to him quite easily," I said, trying to peer around the lingering crowds to the curve of the road. In the distance, cheers could be heard. The citizens surrounding us became antsy as the anticipation rose. He was near.

The crowd erupted as the King's entourage became visible ahead. Hands were raised to the sky, flowers were tossed into the street and the King's name was screamed in adoration. People were actually trampling each other to catch a glimpse of him.

For a moment, I only stared. They both loved and respected him. Never in my life had I seen such a receiving for a ruler. Complete admiration and respect from one's people seemed unmatched.

Then I was snapped back to reality by the realization that nothing I could do today would be enough to catch Lorenzo's attention through the crowds of his admirers. In fact, I couldn't see much but his gleaming dark hair as he was carried on a gilded throne past us. Even if I could push to the front of the horde, there were guards placed between the Itionics and their King. As I had the thought, I watched two of them drag away an unruly celebrator.