♕ 9 | 6 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 96JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 96
JAYLAH

Though they had planned every aspect of this day for weeks, it still began in pandemonium. Jaylah awoke before the sun rose and went to be dressed and done up by Saria. Her gown was especially beautiful today, powder blue and made of chiffon that seemed to shift and float alongside the barest movements of her legs, barely visible through the layers of fabric. Her arms were covered by a cape of the same material, clasped together by a thin silver chain that matched her heeled shoes.

Saria was light-handed with the cosmetics, letting the dress speak for itself. She only powered a bit of rouge on Jaylah's cheekbones and dabbed on lipstick the color of roses.

When she was finished, she stepped back and allowed Jaylah to admire herself for a moment. "They are going to be in awe, Your Majesty. Just keep your head up and allow them to see that you refuse to bend."

"Thank you, Saria." She smoothed a single lock into its place in the braided coil at her nape. "And you need not call me 'Your Majesty'. Just Jaylah is fine."

Likely not knowing how to respond, Saria said nothing. But Jaylah saw her smile a bit in the mirror before she turned away.

As soon as Jaylah had exited her quarters, Glykeria, her maid, was upon her. "My apologies, Your Majesty." She gave a hasty bow. "I know you are in a rush. But we found the spy in your ranks."

Jaylah's brows flew up. "Who is it?"

"Just a common servant, but he's been here longer than anyone else. It appears he knows things about the events taken place here that most do not. What would you like me to do with him?"

It would arouse suspicion if one of the Queen's maids accosted a fellow servant. And Jaylah could not have him slipping through her fingers. "Nothing. I will punish him after my coronation."

She moved on, aimed for the rear terrace that her coronation would take place on for the whole city to see. Antinoch slipped by the soldiers to stand at her side. "Everything is falling into place," she said. "Your advisors, the courtiers, and the Navrikans are already in their places. The crowds below are gathering by the hundreds. We only need to have confirmation from the High Priest, and everything will be ready."

"Confirmation?" Her eyes narrowed. "He must not be late."

"He will not be. I will look into the issue." With that, she peeled away and strode down a hall as the procession passed by, her dark braid swinging.

There was the roar of a thousand people even before she was anywhere near the terrace. Heads turned as she passed down the hallway. The commotion was growing louder with each second. Jaylah steeled herself.

The first thing she saw on the terrace was how filled with people it was. And yet they were all neatly packed away on either side, leaving the center entirely blank for her. The Navrikans were on the right with her advisors, her tittering courtiers on the left. All their conversation ceased when she came into view. She claimed every eye on that terrace, and when she stepped forward, she claimed every one from below too. A hush rolled over the crowd. They looked up to her. Up, up. As if she was a god they should have been praying to.