♕ 1 | 2 | 2 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 122JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 122
JAYLAH

It was difficult for Jaylah to keep the smile off her face as she marched through her home with Snezana in tow as her ultimate prize. The girl had her head craned to the ceiling, taking in the expansive painted scenes in awe. The glittering light of the chandeliers reflected in her eyes like stars. Snezana could have been a Czarevna, some would argue more legitimate than Adrik, yet had never set foot in a palace. Somehow, the knowledge that Jaylah was not the only woman who fell prey to Ermalai's cruelty made her hate him more on Snezana's behalf. Despite what he did to her, she clearly did not hate her father.

Jaylah took a sharp turn, her pace languid. She took it upon herself to learn Ermalai's schedule—and by extension, that of all the Navrikans. He would be leaving his lunchtime right about...

Right on time, the sound of a group entered the hall, their chatter louder than all the others moving through. Jaylah saw Ermalai first, leading the pack as always. "Good day, Ermalai," she called to gain his attention before they passed. He looked up at her, then did a double take when he saw what she had done. The monster coiled inside Jaylah's chest began to unfurl in glee.

He looked away instantly, fixing his eyes on a place in the distance. His face had paled to the color of snow, but the tips of his ears were a burning red. She could feel the question radiating off him: how had she found the one loose end he did not snip? He was quick to hurry along, doing his best to act casual as if his life was not about to be destroyed.

Gods, this was even better than when she forced him to eat his own friend, because now she could watch him stew in his dread. Now he knew that by the end of the night, his reputation would be shattered the same way he made Jaylah feel several times over.

Alexander was also present. Ermalai was keeping him closer these days, hopefully out of paranoia. But his information was good. She would have to find some way to thank him once the night was over.

Jaylah turned to see Snezana watching the Navrikans leave with wistfulness clouding her eyes. A sudden mix of rage and hurt made Jaylah want to yank her away by the arm. Can you not see that he does not want you? she would say as she shook the girl's shoulders. To him, you are wrong. He will never forgive you for having the audacity to exist.

Mistakes were not things to be loved.

"Come." Jaylah ushered her along. "I will escort you to the place you will be staying so that you may be prepared. It is customary in Oceana for celebration to begin two weeks before a wedding, and tonight is the first feast. You will have the opportunity to speak with your father there with no interruptions." And no possibility of him escaping, she thought.

"Oh." Snezana's dark eyelashes fluttered. "My. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, but now that I'm here, I don't know what to do with myself."