♕ 2 | 3 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 23JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 23
JAYLAH

When I was a child, the Queen told Ourania and me stories of distant lands. The Razorwood Forest came up most often, a place of nightmares and mysticism, home to peoples and creatures not even known to the rest of the world. Despite the terrible tales my mother told of it, I found myself inquisitive rather than afraid. The idea that there was so much untouched wilderness to be explored yet no one was powerful enough to claim it made me...intrigued. Perhaps I wanted to be the one to claim it just to show I could.

I knew better now.

It was exactly as I imagined. Strange cries wailed out through the thick-trunked trees, the unknowable language of birds or monkeys or some more dreadful beast. The rustling of wings overhead and the humming of insects was nearly constant. At first, it was more the open and spacious forest for which it was named. But the deeper we got and the further it closed in, the more of a dark jungle it became.

A rare ray of light passed over my face and I glanced up. The canopy was otherwise dense enough to block out the sun. Anything could be concealed in the high branches, watching, waiting. It was much warmer here, but I held back a shiver.

Up ahead, there was a split in the trail. One side led through the forest to Courteaux while the other went to Frébonne, and I was unsure which we were meant to follow. "Get out the map and tell me which way to go," I said to Alexander, who was taking his turn carrying the pack.

In the meantime, I threaded my hands through the few stray hairs that fell from my hairstyle and stuck to my face and neck. I hated the imperfection of it. Knowing it was improper but not caring because of how humid it was becoming, I began to redo the style.

The map rustled as Alexander unfolded it, then everything went still for several moments. "Well?" I asked, head bent down as I tied the end of my braided knot. There was no response.

I looked over to see Alexander's eyes unfocused on the paper. "I can't say."

"It does not give an indication?" I stepped closer to look over at the map. "No, it does. Look, we are meant to take the more southern route to Courteaux." I flicked a hand to the right path. "How were you incapable of seeing that?"

"I just didn't," he snapped, folding the map messily.

Ah. The answer struck deeply within me like an arrow to the heart. "You are illiterate."

The thought came instantly. A weakness. Take advantage of it and render him powerless.

His hands did not falter with my words as he stuffed the map in the bag. "We do not need to pick the matter apart. Let's just continue like you want so badly."

"I believe we do," I said to spite the voice in my head, struggling to follow his fast pace. "If we are split up or I am unable to, you will need to be able to read. I guarantee a situation like this will come again."