♕ 1 | 1 | 7 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 117JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 117
JAYLAH

"Wow." Ghislaine shoveled another bite in her mouth in a manner that would have gotten Jaylah a stern comment when she was a child. "This is easily the fanciest food I've ever eaten." She glanced down the table. "This must be killing you, Adelié."

Adelié looked over curiously, but her eyes soon narrowed. "Was that an insult?"

"Yes," Ghislaine said through a mouth of food. "The day you cook us a meal that's not broth and berries I think Thanatos will freeze over."

"Funny." Adelié primly stabbed a spear of asparagus. "I do believe I have seen you in line for seconds for many of my dinners."

"I saw that too," Margaux said with a sneaking smile.

Ghislaine tossed her light hair. "It's only because your broth is so salty I throw up the first batch. And the berries are always more bitter than Zensa." Digging into her meal with as much propriety to rival Jaylah, Zensa ignored her.

"Hey." That was Sonia's soft voice. "I usually pick the berries."

"Well," Jaylah said, cutting into her meat with a knife, "you need not worry about hunting and gathering like heathens any longer. Not when you are here under my hospitality."

"Heath—you know what, I am ever so grateful, Her Majesty the Empress." Ghislaine made a mock bowing move. "Grateful we won't have to sleep outside in tents, tossing and turning while we have to tune out a certain someone's snoring." She threw a meaningful side glance down the table.

Adelié did not deign to turn her way. "If you are speaking about me, I do not snore. But if I did, it would likely be from slaving away to make meals for you all day."

"Yes you do. Tell her, Mar."

Instead of Margaux, Zensa looked her up and down and said, "Perhaps people would agree with you more often if you spent as much time being helpful as you spend talking with food in your mouth like a peasant child."

Rather than engage Zensa in a verbal fight, which would likely end in blood, Ghislaine said to Jaylah, "Do you see what I have to deal with every day? It's dreadful."

"Here." As Ghislaine had already downed hers and Jaylah had not permitted servants to enter, she handed the blonde girl her untouched glass of wine. "Reparations for your abuse."

Ghislaine's eyes sparkled like a magpie presented with a shiny object. "Uh oh, Sonia, looks like she's got a new favorite person." Margaux shook her head, her eyelashes dark against her freckled cheeks.

"That's alright." Sonia put her hand on Zensa's arm and smiled daintily. "I'm still Zensa's favorite."

"I do not have favorites." Zensa stuck her perfectly curved nose in the air. "I dislike you all equally." Though she did not shake Sonia off as she would anyone else.