♕ 3 | 4 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 34JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 34
JAYLAH

Since the majority of the women left to pick ripe fruit in a nearby grove, the camping grounds were nearly deserted as Alexander and I washed dirty clothes together. Everything was quiet aside from the sloshing of water in the washbin.

At least, until Viviane appeared from a tent across the way, shouting both our fake names. An ear-tearing scream sounded just as she did. My thoughts flew directly to Daggen's men. Alexander did warn me...

But the old woman ushered us into the tent with her, moving out of our way to enter. Inside, everything clicked. The pregnant woman was reclined on a cot with folded blankets beneath her shoulders and head, her teeth digging into her lip as she struggled to internalize her pain. With the way Lucie, Viviane and two more young women were rushing about, I realized a delivery was underway. Was this the reason the other women left for the day, to give her some peace and quiet while giving birth?

Behind me, the tent flap pulled back to reveal Zensa, who was likely as alarmed by the scream as I was. My shoulder bumped into Alexander so I instinctively moved from the entryway. Zensa's eyes connected with mine for a split second before she took in the scene. The last thing I expected her to do was to stay and help, but she let the flaps fall closed behind her.

"Unless you came in just to watch the show, help Éloïse and Estelle prepare." Viviane gestured to the twins. Lucie was checking the woman's bare stomach for the baby inside as Viviane knelt and lifted the sheet between her legs to check her progress.

Not wanting to be stuck on Viviane's end of the birth, I went to the other side of the small tent and asked, "Is there anything I can do?" They were hauling a heated bin of water in from over the fire outside.

"You can go fetch that pot of water over there and pour it in," Éloïse said—or perhaps that was Estelle. Nevertheless, I did as she asked. Steam rolled up from the scalding water as I did so and the exposed skin of my arm was nearly burned in proximity.

"We need more," I said; the water remained much too hot for human touch.

"Indeed," the other twin said. "But there is none at the ready. Will you retrieve some from the well a few yards off the path?" She craned her head to look over my shoulder. "Zensa knows where it is."

I refrained from looking over at Zensa, as that would only acknowledge the awkwardness of the situation. She gave no retort, instead leaving out the front to lead me in silence.

Viviane's soothing words to the pregnant woman fell to the background as the rest of the campground swallowed us in silence. I made as little noise as possible, as if the breaking of a twig under my boot would remind Zensa of my presence. What I would not give for the other women to be back. At least the sounds of their voices while they worked would cut some of the awkward tension.