♕ 4 | 1 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 41JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 41
JAYLAH

We returned to the cave in the middle of the night. I struck another firestick and left Alexander to take a few steps deeper into the cavern. The egg was heavy so in my arms I had to repeatedly switch sides.

"I did it," I said inside, hearing my own voice thrown back at me through warped echoes. "I have your child still alive." I hoped the creature would respond out loud; I knew it was a real experience, but I was also aware of how much joy Alexander would get out of this if I looked a fool.

"There is a second," the beast said back, its tone more defensive than ever, approaching aggressiveness. "I can smell the blood on his hands."

"He is a friend."

It did not seem to care. "Give me my prize, little thief."

"Not yet." A low growl sounded throughout the cave and rattled through my bones, lower than anything I had ever heard, and I wondered if I pushed its mercy too far.

"Your prize is in my arms, it is safe. But I have a...request. A possible string attached to the deal we made, if you wish it."

"I spared your life and you have the audacity to ask more from me?" The thing was moving closer, I heard its claws scrape against the rock and caught a flash of a narrowed golden eye. "Human scum."

Biting my cheek, I stood my ground. "I do not intend to take anything from you. I simply want to extend you an opportunity that has a good chance of arising in the future: an event of much bloodshed. You would be unleashed, free to feast on more flesh than you could ever want."

The beast stopped moving. "I am intrigued. Tell me more."

"War will likely rise in Oceana from a madman in the north. I intend to protect my people in any way necessary. All you must do is pledge loyalty to me if the situation does arise and you wish to fill your stomach with the blood you so badly crave."

"Blood. Thoughts. Souls." The longing words rang out in the darkness.

"They could all be yours. No one would dare to steal from you again."

There was a silence. Then: "I pledge my loyalty to you when the tides turn to war. I will then reap as many souls as I desire. Like in the beginning."

I had no idea what it meant by that, or how old it truly was. Setting down the egg on the cold ground, I asked, "How will you know if war arises overseas?"

"The trees speak. Words drifts over the wind." Another click of massive claws and the thing was close enough for my light to barely touch it—only enough to highlight how terrifyingly gargantuan the thing was. I felt the same terrible smallness I did when I looked out at the expanse of ocean. The ceiling of the cave was so high I could not see it, and yet the creature's head must nearly be touching the top. I caught a glimpse of razor-edged bat wings. More than two pairs. And were those horns?