♕ 1 | 2 | 0 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 120ALEXANDER

Act 3 Chapter 120
ALEXANDER

Seeking out Sonia was the hardest thing Alexander ever had to do. He felt sick every time he tried to plan what to say to her, realizing he would have to speak openly about the things that made him weak. Admitting that he still agonized over it was an embarrassment itself, as if he should have gotten over it already. He knew the way most people saw him was radically different than who he really was, and he didn't think he could willingly pull back his skin to reveal his bleeding insides like that.

He saw Sonia after a few days of distressing over the issue. She was walking with the slowly recovering Ghislaine, and as much as he didn't want to interrupt their time together, he had a meeting with Ermalai's advisors to get to in an hour. It was now or never.

"Sonia." She turned in surprise, long braids swishing against her back. "Can I talk to you?"

"What, no hello?" Ghislaine wrinkled her nose at him. "I almost died at your master's hand and this is the warm greeting I get?"

He made his voice saccharine. "Hello, Ghislaine."

"Haven't you ever heard that you're not meant to patronize a poor sick woman?"

"Yes, Alexei, we can talk," Sonia said, "if you will kindly help me bring this poor sick woman to her bed."

"She does seem cranky. Perhaps some rest will be good for that unflattering scowl."

Sonia smiled. Ghislaine did not. "Don't talk about me like I'm not here."

"And that awful grating voice," Alexander added, ignoring her. "Someone get the woman some water."

Ghislaine was predictably not pleased with him. Sonia patted her shoulder when Alexander would not stop mocking her. He couldn't help that being awful helped calm his nerves.

"Now that that is finished," Sonia said when Ghislaine was shut in her room to rest, "what did you want to talk about?"

His skin was on fire. His bones were ice. "Jaylah told me back in Razorwood, you used to help women who..." He couldn't bring himself to say it.

He was both grateful and ashamed when recognition darkened Sonia's face. "I see. Where would you feel most comfortable having a conversation?"

"Uh..." Somehow, all available places had flown from his memory. This had been a massive mistake.

"If you would like, my room has a lovely view of the city. It also is low enough over the gardens that it smells of flowers with the windows open." She hesitated. "I hope that is not too presumptuous?"

He snorted in spite of himself at the image of reserved Sonia luring him into her room. Why could he not be serious even for a moment? "That sounds nice."

She led him around the corner and a few steps down the hallway from Ghislaine's room and opened the door. It did smell sweetly of flowers. "You may sit anywhere you please," she said as she opened the second window. Feeling awkward again, he sat on a low cushioned stool.