♕ 1 | 1 | 2 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 112JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 112
JAYLAH

The next morning, Jaylah arose earlier than usual. Despite her lack of sleep, there was extra energy in her step as she threw open the gauzy curtains to let golden light gush in. The sun was just barely rising over the lone mountain in the west, turning the many cityscapes underneath it hazy with muted oranges and pinks.

She nearly felt breezy as she allowed Kriti, Glykeria, and Voula in, fighting back the cruel smile that was aimed at no one in particular. Yet.

"You seem to be in a chipper mood, Your Majesty," Voula said, dark brows high on her white face. "I take it the wedding dress situation will be mended? They told me what happened." She referred to the girls standing beside her.

"Do you hate Ermalai?" Jaylah asked.

All three were made hesitant by the probing question. But Jaylah gave them that look she was now so accustomed to giving, the one that told them to speak their minds freely. As Empress, she did enjoy being fawned over, but she had no time for polite pretenses. Eventually, Glykeria got the picture. "He is rather worrying..."

"Worryingly perverted for such an old man, perhaps," Kriti said to the horror of the other two. "I mean, he truly looked at that beautiful dress of yours and thought immediately of adultery? I sense some projection." Voula giggled in spite of herself. Glykeria slapped both of their shoulders.

"I have often wondered myself about what his wife thinks of him involving himself in the business of such a younger woman," Jaylah mused, Kriti's brashness rubbing off on her. "Then again, I doubt anyone married to that man is sane any longer."

"I feel bad for the Czarina." That was Voula, giving a sheepish smile. "She has to look at his sunken chin all the time."

"He makes my skin crawl a bit," Glykeria admitted.

"I see there is no love for him here. Good." Once again, Jaylah's thoughts were spinning around vague ideas of suffering and pain. "In that case, I have your next assignment."

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

When news came out that the High Priest's killer had finally been found, Jaylah reacted with polite surprise. It was frightening how well she was getting at lying. Her face remained a mask of confusion as the messenger explained that the whole palace was buzzing about it—many bundles of rope had been discovered in the quarters of Ermalai's favorite advisor. It happened to be the exact same rope that the High Priest's neck had broken under. It made perfect sense: he had to have scaled the wall to get into the room somehow.

When she saw the way Ermalai's face transformed to horror with the message, it was all she could do from outright mocking him. "Oh." She made her voice pitying. "I apologize it had to have happened like this. But you know the law. He must hang tomorrow."