♕ 1 | 3 | 0 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 130JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 130
JAYLAH

Without meaning to, Jaylah began tapping her foot as Alexander divulged all he knew of the Kalingi-Navrikan alliance. It was not much—supposedly. But Ermalai could not have made a snap-second decision; he had ruminated on this for weeks, if not months. She needed to know what he had schemed, because he would not make this call publicly unless everything was assured to go to plan. In comparison, Jaylah had approximately no immediate plans and no assurance to go alongside it.

His eyes darting town to catch her impatience, Alexander said, "If that's all, I'll be going."

She could have turned away without lingering. She could have. Then she would spend her night awake and alone with her obsessive thoughts. After Saria...she needed something else to think about. Something to latch onto.

Jaylah's chest compressed with a sigh. "You told me a few weeks ago that you wish to continue learning to read. I have decided..." She closed her eyes so his smug expression was hidden from view. "I will help you again."

"What convinced you?" he asked, knowing fully well enough what their last interaction ended with.

"Impending invasion is making me very generous. Also...you are not the worst person to pass the time with."

"You want a distraction. Okay." He turned toward the end of the secret passage, beckoning to her over his shoulder. "Come on."

Suddenly frozen, she held her ground. "What—now?"

"Oh." He stopped. "Sure, if you want to risk your status by being seen teaching me to read in broad daylight, be my guest."

"No. You are right." Jaylah forced herself to move. "Where are we going, the library?"

"I have a stolen library book in my room. I think I was a bit too ambitious with its level of difficulty, so don't laugh when you see how thick it is."

She blinked. Hard. "How pathetic that you must lure me to your room."

"I'm not luring you." He rolled his eyes. "It's not like you would have said yes if I asked outright."

"Give it your best try."

"Okay." He rolled his shoulders, straightened his posture. "Will Her Majesty deign to accompany me to my humble quarters?"

Jaylah brushed by him, making her way to the exit. "Proper manners suit you."

Following her, he made a hum of wonder. "So all I have to do is ask nicely? You are so easy."

"You are too ambitious."

"Yeah." Jaylah nearly had a conniption when he unexpectedly grabbed her hand before blowing out the candle. The passage went pitch black. He could have strangled her there in the dark when she would not see it coming, but all he did was yank her after him. Just like that, the manners were gone. It was the only thing she could think of to avoid dwelling on the current situation, which she remained too taken aback to respond to.