♕ 1 | 3 | 4 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 134ALEXANDER

Act 3 Chapter 134
ALEXANDER

Alexander felt ridiculously stupid as he looked down at the storybook of fairytales. He'd felt even more stupid having to check out a book meant for children from the library from the very old, very judgmental-looking librarian. But it was the easiest reading material he could find, and he was unsure how much knowledge he'd retained from Jaylah's lessons.

He opened the book. The spine uttered a pitiful groan. Of course. Because no one else in the palace was reading children's books on the daily.

Flipping through the pages, he searched for an illustration that caught his eye. Oh. There was one. He leaned in. It was of a massive wolf-man in the middle of attacking the carriage of a princess with hair made of real gold leaf. Yes, this was right up his alley.

He looked to the first word. It was a short one. He imagined Jaylah's voice telling him to sound out each individual letter.  It was slow work, but he was able to finish the first sentence. He repeated it to himself out loud, impressed that he'd been able to do it at all.

But...when his eyes returned to the page, the next words were as foreign to him as if written in another language. His eyes darted back and forth. Some of them seemed to oscillate between different similar-looking letters. Back and forth.

Alexander's frustration grew, which only impeded his reading ability further. He clawed a hand through the hair at his hairline. Why was he such a stupid, useless idiot? He was free—sort of—and he was alive against all odds, and he still could not manage this. What would his mother think?

The thought came to him faster than his self-hatred could: she would be proud of him. Wouldn't she? Even if he never fully got the hang of reading the way everyone else did, she would be proud of him for trying. All he could do was his best, even if he fell short.

That was what spurred him to keep going. He sat there for an hour, seconds away from tearing out his hair whenever he was caught on a word he didn't know. But by the end, he was able to make sense of the story's gist. The princess was saved from the wolf-man by a mysterious man, who later slayed the beast. And that mysterious man turned out to be a prince.

That, he thought to himself as he shut the book, was disappointing as hell.