♕ 2 | 9 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 29JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 29
JAYLAH

I thought Zensa was my largest problem until Adelié showed Alexander and I to the place we would be staying—a single tent. "I apologize," she said. "We don't carry many extra supplies due to the fact that we move around so often. But this tent belonged to one of our own that passed away a few weeks ago from infection." Turning to us with a swish of her long hair, she gave a sheepish chuckle. "I hope that is not too morbid for you to be comfortable."

"It is fine," I said, knowing this could only end with either Alexander or me suffocating under a pillow at the other's hands. "You were kind enough to allocate it for us."

She left. I gave the mercenary a displeased glance before ducking inside. On the ground was a single sleeping roll to add to the one we already owned. Gone were the nights of having to switch places for one of us to watch. Though that had included one of us being alert while the other was vulnerable in sleep, this felt more dangerous.

"Are you superstitious?" Alexander asked, looking around.

"Of spirits? No." I paused. "Surely you are not? Though if anyone is cursed by angry spirits, it would be you: the thief and assassin."

"Despite the common image of my people, I am not very superstitious. But," he stressed, "if this tent is haunted, I will personally make sure the spirit harms you first so that I have time to escape."

I scoffed. "These women may fall prey to your fake charm, but like me, no spirit would."

"You underestimate me."

That could not be farther from the truth. Still, I said, "Is it underestimation if your utter lack of redeeming qualities is true?"

"I will let them be the judge of that." Untying his boots, he glanced up. "If tonight proved anything, it is that everyone else seems to find me rather a lovely companion."

"I may be more inclined to believe you if you did not try to—" I listed off on my fingers—"assassinate me, insult me to my face, undermine my power and play constant mind games with me. The exact definition of a terrible companion."

He played it off, shrugging. "Said the one who spent the night sitting completely alone. I wonder why."

The small presence of humor in the tent was immediately sucked out. I said nothing more as I readied my own sleeping roll as far away from his as I could manage. He did the same. Alexander blew out the firestick in the ground just outside. My swords were wedged partially under my bedroll in perfect reaching distance. If Alexander wanted to steal them, he would have to move my body, and surely I would not sleep through that.

I laid on my back, staring up at the dim canvas roof, and listened to Alexander's barely perceptible breathing. If I wanted to focus on it, I had to strain. Once he fell asleep first, I would be at ease just enough to fall into a light sleep myself.