♕ 1 | 3 | 5 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 135JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 135
JAYLAH

Jaylah was going to scream if she had to attend another banquet. And she would, because her wedding was still several days away. Less than half a week. She was marching toward her deterioration while everyone else stuffed themselves on glazed ham and the finest Paragonian music. She got the idea that she should at least hold onto the beauty of it while it still lasted. Once it was gone, it would not return.

Unable to take any more, she excused herself, claiming to want a full night's sleep to deal with the last matters of the wedding in the morning. But she would not sleep. Even if she was not plagued with dreams and false visions in the night, the sounds of her people rioting in the streets would surely keep her up. Once she got to her room, she would shut all the windows.

She was halfway there when a wry voice said, "Jaylah."

No, no, not now. Alexander knew what he was doing addressing her so impolitely in front of her escorting soldiers. She bid them to leave her before yanking him into a side room with a murderous air for show. It was an unwise display regardless, but she was past caring.

The door slammed shut. He did not fight against the grip she had on his bicep. "You know I didn't kill your aide, right?"

"I do not know that."

"She was the one who found the information I used to kill those slavers. And you were close with her. I wouldn't have hurt her even if Ermalai asked me to."

"Well," Jaylah said, steeling her voice so it would not break. "It does not matter now."

"I know." He looked away. "Ermalai is a piece of work."

Then why do you insist upon remaining by his side? she wanted to ask. Who are you going to turn against: me or him? She was terrified because she knew the answer.

Still, the facade had to go on. "He may be a monster, but he will soon be my family. Adrik will not cut ties with his own father."

Alexander was quiet for a long time. His normal jesting mood was nowhere to be found, and it was odd. It went on for so long she turned to go. Then: "You're really going to marry him?"

She squeezed her eyes shut. Gods, she hoped this was not heading in the direction she feared. Her heart was a raw wound and she could take no more agony.

And turned back around to meet the hard look in his eyes, tinting his eyes to a slate gray. "Surely you did not think there would be any other outcome."