♕ 1 | 2 | 1 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 121JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 121
JAYLAH

"Your summons had better be for a good reason," Jaylah said as she brushed cobwebs off her gown. "I was meant to have dinner with Zensa tonight and had to reschedule very rudely last minute."

"Aw, you dropped everything to come see me?" Alexander tilted his head and held his heart in fake emotion. Jaylah did not answer that. "Of course it's for a good reason. Ermalai has a daughter."

Jaylah's eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. "What? How did you find out?" In a flash, all the times Ermalai claimed that she and Adrik would bear a son due to the 'strong bloodline of the Morokov family' became laughable. "That is..."

He nodded, eyebrows high. "I know. She sent a letter to Ermalai, but I intercepted it before he could see it. Apparently she was displaced during the war and now lives somewhere nearby, because it was a plea to meet with Ermalai. She said she wanted to meet Adrik, who's only her half-brother."

And the mongrel had the audacity to accuse Jaylah of adultery?

"Tell me all you know about her," Jaylah ordered, her voice coming out too soft as the revelation settled in.

"I don't know much. Again, I only read it once before Ermalai came back in the room. But her name's Snezana Chkalova—presumably her mother's surname. She didn't say exactly where she lived, but she did imply that meeting with Ermalai wouldn't be a far travel for her, so..."

Jaylah's scheming came to a screeching halt when she remembered who she was taking information from. "And what will become of me if I seek her out? Will this Snezana be secretly waiting to slash my throat out? Is she even real at all?"

He rolled his eyes. "If I was making a trap, I'd give you more information about where to find her." Unless that was just what he wanted her to think... "When has any information I've given you ever been bad?"

"You still actively do Ermalai's dirty work. What reason could you possibly have to help me, his greatest enemy?"

"You're not my greatest enemy. Maybe I just wanted to do something nice for you since you helped me with...since you helped me the other night." When he saw her hesitation, he smiled a bit. "It seems you'll just have to trust me."

"I see." She watched his face for deviousness but found nothing in his eyes besides allure. "If this is your way of sending me to a death trap, I will have every bone in your body broken."

"Will you be the one doing the bone-breaking?" he called as she began the walk back to her quarters to give Antinoch Snezana's name. "If so, I hope you do encounter a trap."

What an idiotic menace. Still, as Jaylah faced away, she found herself smiling.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕