♕ 0 | 2 ♕

Act 1 Chapter 2JAYLAH

Act 1 Chapter 2
JAYLAH

"It is quite a pleasure to be here tonight, Your Majesty," the general of Oceana's army, Kailo Stephapulous informed me, sweeping into a deep bow. His wife, wearing a intricately braided hairstyle popular amongst wealthy Oceanic women, bowed with him.

Forcing a serene smile on my face when the couple straightened, I responded, "I am similarly pleased with your attendance."

They moved on, allowing yet another visitor to take their place. It seemed I had interacted with a thousand guests, all of whom were either wealthy aristocrats, governors from far away or officers in the military. I was not surprised when they approached me feigning meekness, seemingly desiring only to pay their respects to their new Queen.

I knew better. Despite the upmost politeness they treated me with, there was a palpable tension hanging in the air. I was well aware of the questions no one had asked but all wanted answered: how had I survived the Royal Massacre and where had I been for all these months?

There was a noticeable difference between the way the common people and these members of the upper class eyed me. The former, like the maid the other day, averted their eyes out of real fear for my dangerous capabilities. The aristocracy within this room watched me not as a respected ruler, but as a child queen given total power too quickly. I was unsure which I disliked more.

And then from everyone, there was the obvious wondering of what kind of monarch I would be. After the last King's reign, they all feared what I would become. Aegeus Imperator had many titles. The Master of Fear. Warbringer. The Mad King.

Now, my people wondered whether the Mad King had reared a Mad Queen to take his place. My past actions all pointed to the answer being yes.

That was precisely why I had decided to take up a benevolent disposition for all to see. It was necessary for them to know I was no longer who I was under my father's reign of terror. They needed to know I was attempting to turn from my previous dark path to become the ruler they desperately required.

Because of their suspicion, I caught visitors watching me from all sides of the room, only looking away when I made eye contact. They were clearly trying to size me up through my appearance alone, as I had made no moves for action as of yet.

Tonight—keeping with my pure, gentle persona—I wore an ivory gown that barely grazed off my shoulders. The shining needlework on the shoulders and sleeves was Oceanic silver. Sweeping off my lithe body in light swaths, I knew it was the perfect combination of fashionable and regal. It offset the spiked silver crown resting on my head. Judging by the sneaking looks my subjects were dealing me, I knew they noticed it too.