♕ 1 | 3 | 6 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 136JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 136
JAYLAH

It was worse than Jaylah thought. The riots had spread from the Navrikan embassy overnight, and now nearly reached the palace gates. Several squads of soldiers had to be dispatched across the bridge just to hold them back. It was the most intense near the embassy, where the dissenters had taken Navrikan ambassadors hostage and slaughtered them through the night. Jaylah's men reported seeing their bodies in the middle of the street being trampled by horses and human feet.

They now knew the Kalingi sought to occupy their land and rape their people and that Ermalai was threatening to use his firepower against the coast, while Jaylah did nothing. She was meant to protect them, but they saw no sympathy coming their way.

She was losing them.

That was why she allowed Ermalai to approach her as she overlooked the city. It had gotten so bloody that she could no longer ignore the situation. "Come to gloat?" she asked.

"Tell the rioters to stand down. They murdered a dozen of my people."

"You should have thought of that before you threatened to bomb them all to hell."

He gripped her shoulder so suddenly and painfully that her mouth dropped open. "Call them off," he hissed, though he did not seem angry in the slightest. "Or I promise you that my threat will hold true."

"I have tried," she burst out. "Do you think I wanted this? My men have been sent in to spread the news and the demonstrations gave only grown in violence."

"There is only one solution, then. Kill their leaders."

Those leaders were the revolutionaries that hated Ermalai for his treachery. They were the people that cared enough about Oceana that they were willing to kill for her. The enemies of her enemy were not her friend, but how could she sign their death warrant for protesting the unfairness with which Ermalai treated them? "No."

"Then I will bomb your beloved Oceana," he decided. "I thought you would surely choose the lives of a million over a few, but then again, you always were mad."

A million... "You do not want a war; you are still recovering from the last one. Your army may be strong, but you are burning through the peasantry so fast that you could never sustain a long-term conflict."

"If there is war, it will not be long-term. I have enough men. I have enough peasants. A few swift, targeted attacks would do the trick—you forget I have been examining your weaknesses for months." He contemplated. "Or I could always step away and let the Kalingi raze Oceana to the ground."

"You do not want a war," she repeated, on her knees before the Gods, begging them that Ermalai was not that narcissistic.

He shook his head as if disappointed in her naivety. "There will not be one. I have things that you need, so you will not challenge me."