♕ 6 | 0 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 60JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 60
JAYLAH

The Chakranti festivities, despite just having been officially started, were already in full swing. In some areas where the buildings pressed in tighter, partiers were so compact we had to resort to shoving our way through. Music poured out from every direction. A woman playing fervent cello had an entire crowd of people dancing. Given that this was the City of Luck, and everything they did was more extravagant than anywhere else, I had never seen a Chakranti on this grand of a scale. Not even at home.

Merchants were kinder with their yells to passerby, but no less fervent. I was overcome with horror when a stout man with skin tanned and lined from years under the sun said to Alexander, "Why don't you buy flowers as beautiful as your lady?"

Walking with a space between us, we were clearly not here to celebrate the night together. Still, Alexander replied, "If I must," and scooped a dead, decaying blossom from where it had been trampled in the street.

"Always a flatterer," was my dry answer. I tossed it over my shoulder when he was not looking. "You know, one is never meant to insult beautiful women, especially on Chakranti."

"I'll keep that in mind when I see one."

Normally, I would have been insulted. But my traitorous thoughts returned to the manner in which he gazed at me earlier. Feeling too warm for the mild night, I said nothing more on the subject.

We passed a series of restaurants with families and couples eating around candlelight on patios. High-pitched violin music emitted from inside. Something about the jubilation on the childrens' faces made me unable to stand focussing on them for too long.

The air filled with the rich scents of starchy Paragonian food. My mouth watered; due to the business of our day, we had not eaten yet.

"Do you suppose they will take our payment?" I asked in Navrikan, knowing the bounty hunter who refused the gemstones was likely pickier than street vendors.

"Yeah. But I don't blame her for believing they're fake. This city runs rampant with con artists."

"We could always steal food."

He turned to look at me, appalled. "Jaylithia Imperatrix, you're thoroughly corrupted."

"Do not use my real name," I hissed, being sure no one around us heard. "But alas. I think it is safe to assume you have unfortunately rubbed off on me."

Giving a chiding shake of his head, he repeated, "Rubbing off on you? And you say I'm perverted?"

My lip curled in repugnance. "You know that is not what I meant."

"You mean to take advantage of an attractive, charming gentleman such as myself?"

"Gentleman is the last word I would use."