♕ 9 | 9 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 99JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 99
JAYLAH

The first thing the supreme chieftain said when he laid eyes on Jaylah was, "I already know what you came for."

"Oh?" Jaylah cocked her head, miming humble bewilderment. "And what is that?"

He was not pleased with her innocence. "You are here to claim these islands as your own. Why else would you have brought four ships full of soldiers?" At the mention of the soldiers, some of which flanked Jaylah, the chieftain's own men leaned a bit closer to him.

"No, no. I am sorry for the confusion my entrance must have made. I am not going to hurt you, Highness, or your people. I am simply here to offer my protection."

"We have survived for decades without a whiff of animosity from any other nation, save your own. From your father," he said flatly, "as you must know, since you were also present. We have been perfectly fine without you, and we will continue to be."

"I believe it is in your best interest to desire your own protection in the near future."

It was a heavy hint. The supreme chieftain took the bait. Sighing, he beckoned for her to follow him out of the cliffside patio they were all tensely populating. Jaylah remained at his side as they ventured down a narrow passageway with a remarkable view of the ocean to the right.  It would only take one shove and the chieftain would be rolling down the hill peppered with spiked tropical plants, only to splat at the curve of another path several hundreds of meters down. But she meant what she said. She was not here looking for another war.

"Tell me what you are referring to."

"It seems the submission my father beat the Kalingi into wore off. We only knew it was a matter of time before they came for us again. I just never expected they would strengthen so quickly."

The chieftain tensed at that. He was not yet sure if she was telling the truth, but unfortunately he was about to find out how badly the situation had gone south.

"Yes," Jaylah went on. "You are aware of how the Kalingi believe they are entitled to our land. This includes the Southern Isles. And none of us forgot the things they did while they enslaved us last."

"You are making this up." The chieftain shook his head, making his many braids slide over the thin fabric draped over his shoulders. "You are fear-mongering for the sake of convincing me to hand my land over to you."

"Your land would still be your own. Your religions, your culture and ways of life would remain untouched. Not a single hair on your peoples' heads would be harmed or changed by anyone from Oceana. But from anyone else...that is up to you to decide."

The chieftain stopped in his tracks to look at her. He was not a man quick to anger, but she knew she was trying his patience. "My soldiers will protect your borders. There is no other way of saying it: we bounced back, but the Kalingi occupation crippled you. Your technology, your soldiers' training regimens, your weapons are all nearly a hundred years out of date. In another war, your people will be wiped out."