♕ 1 | 2 | 9 ♕

Act 3 Chapter 129JAYLAH

Act 3 Chapter 129
JAYLAH

"You still smell of fire," Saria murmured as she adorned Jaylah's hands with a citrusy oil. No matter how many times Jaylah scrubbed her skin or changed her clothing, she still reeked of those ruinous flames. It was as if Godfire had sunk beneath her skin and become a part of her.

"There was a large amount of smoke," Jaylah said, not aware of how much Saria had heard.

"A lot of bodies were burned," Saria said mildly.

"They were Navrikan soldiers. They would just as soon burn our people."

Saria stepped back as she put the cork in the bottle. "Were you not a soldier yourself?"

Jaylah's eyes narrowed. "What are you insinuating?"

"Insinuating? Nothing. I just wanted to help you realize how war makes villains of everyone involved. Out of those Navrikan soldiers, most were your age. How are they different from you when you were fighting on their land?"

"I was a Princess with a superior duty to uphold. I had to fight on their land to make them too damaged to ever attack us again."

Saria remained calm as ever. "And what if they had killed you?"

"They were not strong enough to. If they killed me, it would have been the same as I did to them today."

"Would it?" Jaylah whipped around to watch her pass behind. "Because the way those boys died during peacetime so that a point could be proven does not seem the same to me."

"It is the only way to hurt Ermalai. What was I meant to do, storm Navrika?"

"The only way to hurt Ermalai is to kill the young men he manipulates into joining his cause with lies and propaganda? You know most of them only joined so that their families would not die off from starvation."

"What is this?" Jaylah snapped. "Are you going soft for those Navrikans now?"

"It was not only Navrikan blood spilled today."

"So what?" Her face was beginning to feel hot. "I did what I had to do."

"I see." Saria was too busy cleaning off the vanity to look at her. "I simply believe you are purposely limiting yourself to violent options that endanger innocents."

"Who are you to judge me? I am the only one with absolute power; I do not have the luxury of being told what to do. If I have to burn foreigners to keep our people free, I will burn the whole damn island until it sinks back into the ocean."