♕ 0 | 4 ♕

Act 1 Chapter 4JAYLAH

Act 1 Chapter 4
JAYLAH

Head high, I stepped into the castle's arsenal alone. As a strong war nation, Oceana had more than its fair share of weaponry. I would have my choice of legendary weapons wielded by the great Kings.

The domed ceiling of the place was so raised I could not make out the top of it in the dark. Hundreds, likely thousands, of types and builds of swords and daggers hung sheathed from hooks on the walls. As I walked deeper inside, iron-tipped spears, whips with spikes fitted on the ends, and razor disks with handles for close combat filtered into the collection.

Though I caught sight of many finely-crafted weapons that I could have wielded, I passed them by. I knew what I searched for and they were not it. Strangely enough, it was as if some deep thing inside me was pulling me toward what I sought.

I had only been allowed within this place by the Queen, surprisingly, once before the Red War. The King encouraged me to become more comfortable with blades than I was with anything else, but I was supplied with any swords I desired, never needing to delve into the castle's more legendary collection.

At last, I laid eyes upon them—unmoved since my last visit. None but the one they called upon was even allowed to lay hands upon them. The twin swords lay crossed on a pedestal in the center of the cavernous chamber. Even from the distance from which I stood, I could see how lethal they were. It was entrancing.

Daring to step closer, I inspected the blades intently. Still, I did not touch them. Circling the pedestal, I admired how cleanly the double-edged blade gave way to detailed hilts. The silver, nearly inky, blades were inscribed with wickedly beautiful ancient designs. After taking in the unconventional color and the way they shone with a strange light—as if they glowed from within—I realized what material they were: Bloodiron. It was a highly rare metal the Ironhearts alone excelled in excavating in the north.

Once again, I recalled more than ten years ago on the day I explored this place as a young, malleable Princess. I had no idea why the Queen insisted I saw the arsenal then. Now I knew it was because of the impending war. She never desired for me to become a warrior for it.

"Look at these weapons, Jaylithia," my mother said, slender arms extending to gesture to the shining devices. "In the war, they will be used to tear Navrikan bodies apart. Look how clean they are. They will not remain that way for long; soon, they will be stained with the red blood and hot tears of the King's enemies."

My young eyes ran over the contents of the chamber. She clearly despised the glittering blades. I recognized it in her eyes every time I caught her watching my sword-fighting lessons from afar.