♕ 8 | 8 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 88JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 88
JAYLAH

The Czar's gaze had remained on Jaylah's dress for too long to believe that he did not suspect anything. He had not been permitted to make a comment because of the meeting they were in with several other officials, but Jaylah had no doubt he was, in the best case scenario, curious. In the worst case, he was aware she had been conspiring with his own spy.

At that moment, she did not think Alexander had spoken to Ermalai about last night's events. Though the power she had over him was slim, it was a bargaining chip regardless. But that did not mean he would not find a way around it, or that he was not telling Ermalai everything else.

The other officials bowed as Jaylah left the meeting, eager to be on her feet after hours of sitting and compromising over and over again. Progress had been made, for which she was grateful. But the day's brightness was dimmed as Ermalai found his way to her side once more.

"Your presence last night was sorely missed," he began. "Though I am happy to have caught you now."

"My father left me a tumultuous Oceana. I am a busy woman."

"Surely our alliance will ease some of the strain."

Or add more of it, Jaylah thought darkly. "Where is the Czarevich? He expressed his liking for my gown yesterday, so I wore it again. However, he is nowhere to be found."

She could not tell whether the lie swayed him. "My son left the palace early this morning to make an appearance at the Navrika embassy. He will be back before sundown." She heard the change in his tone, ever so slightly more lilting and speculative. "He was wondering, as was I, what was important enough to skip the wedding planning."

Jaylah had prepared for this all morning. "I was with Klymene Lykaios. The poor thing has been distressed ever since returning here to the site of the massacre, which she witnessed with her own two eyes."

"Ah, how generous of you to spend so much of your time with her." He looked over at her, dark eyes shining. "You did spend a great amount of time with her. I can see the weariness on your face. Why, you look as though you've hardly slept a wink."

He was barely attempting subtlety. Jaylah gritted her molars together, knowing she would have to throw him off the scent with something more outrageous than what he was thinking.  "I do not want to overstep any boundaries but...if you must know, I had a covert meeting with the Czarevich last night." She feigned a tinge of sheepishness. "He did not want to tell you for fear it would be awkward, but he and I have grown...quite close."

"Oh." His chin wobbled as he blinked several times. "Well, if that was all it was, I am happy to hear it. I feared it may be something that would damage your reputation." His attention caught on to three maids exiting from the direction of the Queen's quarters. "Your personal maids, I recognize." They wore silver lining to signify they were the most elite in their level. "Surely they will be able to corroborate the events of late last night."