♕ 4 | 4 ♕

Act 2 Chapter 44JAYLAH

Act 2 Chapter 44
JAYLAH

I realized the absence of my knife too late. Alexander. That thieving rat took advantage of my preoccupation. Although the fleshy, violent sounds that echoed throughout the abandoned sector of the temple did make better sense.

Now that the arrival of Daggen's men was more real than ever, I hurried along the cavernous passageways as if they were at my heels. I anticipated the moment I ran into another group of them head-on.

My wariness shot up when I stumbled upon a large chamber completely devoid of artifacts on display or worship materials. Every movement I made echoed throughout the strangely lit room. There were no windows, but light seemed to stream in from between the pillars circled around the tiled floor, which portrayed the creation of the mankind through the dreams of Sargon and Ultima.

When I took in the cracks spidering through the marble of the floor and thin pillars, I realized this side of the temple was the part that was vacated for the instability of the infrastructure. The oldest wing of the temple. I could not even fathom what this ancient space must have weathered throughout the ages.

An inkling of an idea fluttered in the deep recesses of my mind. The thing you are searching for is in the earth God's clutches. If you go after it, he will crush you.

Little by little, my gaze dropped to the floor.

Oh, the woman was clever. I was taking her advice figuratively, as if the locket laid in a temple to Ariin, but what if she meant it literally? Not only would taking the power of the locket likely vaporize my human body on contact, but the earth would actually need to cave in for me to retrieve it.

I dared to step forward and tap my heel hard on the tile. A faint hollow sound rang out far below and my mind flooded with a million questions. What was down there? How deep did it fall? If I was to break the floor, would I accidentally take myself with it?

Were those voices? Newly vehement, I rushed forward to the most deteriorated pillar I could find and stationed myself behind it. It was as tall as a redwood tree, but significantly weakened by large parts chipped off a crack not high above my head. If I could apply pressure as close to it as possible...

Using one booted foot pressed against the wall as extra force, I heaved all my strength into the pillar. Tiny pieces of debris crumbled into my strained face as the two pieces shifted ever so slightly. It was not enough.

This is not an act of impertinence, I promised to Sargon and Ulima. I pray you show grace.

For what was more holy than destiny?

With that, I hurled myself into the pillar with all my strength, again and again. It hurt my ribs more with every blow but was more efficient than pushing with my minimal arm strength.