Part 30

Tom Riddle had been gazing at Five a lot more than he had the first couple of days of school - bright emerald eyes following him not so discreetly whenever they could, during classes, meal times and even breaks when they came across each other.
Naturally, the little assassin had noticed this almost instantly.

At first Five just dismissed this as someone petty, maybe it was just Cicero or something - but this went on for the next two weeks.
And his eyes unmistakably stared deep down into his own mischievous azure ones, a disturbing prodding sensation in his mind instinctively forcing him to pull up walls around it - earning an irritated glare in return.

What the little assassin didn't know, was that the Slytherin prefect was trying to catch Five off guard - in the hopes to use legillimency on him for a few minutes to gain just a little more knowledge towards who he really is.

The information that Riddle had both been given by the boy himself, and gained through his own means of observation weren't enough to give him a full picture - just pieces of a puzzle that he desperately wanted to solve.

A very large and complex puzzle that would require the help of another to fully complete.

"Could I please have some butter beer?"
The barmaid smiled, waving her wand and summoning a clear glass cup.

"Sure thing Cicero, and what about your friend here? New face."

Five flashed a charming grin.
"The name's Five, I'll have a coffee - black, please."

"Nice to meet you Five, I'll be back shortly with your drinks."
The orange haired lady walked back to grab a plain white mug, magically filling the other with butter beer as she made the coffee.

Whilst she did so, Cicero shifted his body so he was facing the brunet beside him - asking a question that had just returned to him.

"You know, Five. I forgot to ask couple weeks ago, just slipped my mind - but what did that woman with the gloves and you mean about the apocalypse thing?"

The old teen looked at him solemnly, shaking his head as if to say not now.

"When the time is right, I'll tell you. For now, this isn't something that you should be worrying about."
The blond nodded slowly, not quite understanding - but knowing enough to not push the subject.

"Okay."

A large mug of steaming black substance was placed in front of Five, a glass of warm orange liquid with fluffy white froth on the top placed in front of the other boy.

"Enjoy." The barmaid said happily, attending to her next customers with a energetic 'what can I get for you today?'

The boy took a small sip of his hot coffee, half expecting it to be just as bad as the mugs he had to endure at school - finding that the familiar bitter taste that filled his mouth, wasn't bad.

It was actually good.

"I haven't had any decent coffee in a while, this isn't half as bad." Cicero smiled mischievously.

"Good to know that no ones going to be dying tonight." The little assassin rolled his eyes, taking a long sip of his coffee - moving onto another subject.

"Does Riddle always act like he is now?"
Cicero took a quick drink of his butter beer, raising his pale eyebrows in a questioning way.

"What do you mean?" He asked curiously.
"Surely you've noticed that he's been eyeing me for a while now - it's like he's trying to figure out the perfect time to maim me."

The platinum blond grinned widely, giggling inwardly.
"Nope - in fact, he was the total opposite. Always trying to avoid eye contact in any way possible, never looking at anything that isn't worth his attention. "

He gasped dramatically, slowing turning his head to face the brunet.
"Maybe he fancies you!" He whisper shouted.
Five scoffed softly, giving the other a dead stare.

"Very funny, I think that he's trying to find something out - I just don't know what, and it's unsettling, not knowing things."
Cicero's lips curled into a grin, thinking to himself before he spoke again.

You poor, oblivious old man.

"Whatever floats your boat, in that case - then you should be careful."

"Yeah, no shit Sherlock." Five said sarcastically, taking another drink.
The blond chuckled, pushing his round black glasses up higher.

Just as he did so, a voice boomed out loudly - too jolly for the old teen's liking.
"Five, m'boy!" Slughorn said, completely giving Cicero a short smile - he was adorning a large winter coat and a forest green scarf that was frayed slightly at the end, suggesting that it was a much lived piece of coloured wool.

"How are you going? Good? Great!" He quickly said, not allowing the boy to properly answer at all.

"Now listen, I haven't been able to host one for a little while since I've been busy - but I want you to come to my supper tonight, you've certainly caught my eye, and there will be plenty other brilliant minds there! So what do you say?"

He asked, passing him an invitation sealed with blood red wax.
Five gave a coy smile.
"I'll think about it professor."

He large man smiled widely, pulling his fluffy beige coat around himself tighter.
"Great! I expect to be seeing you there m'boy."

And with that he left the shop - just as quickly as he came - Cicero grinning widely.

"You should go, I already attend them along with my sister because he caught us hexing someone who pissed us off -  and he drops a lot of secrets - they may be useful to you. Conversations aren't too bad either."

Five nodded, downing the rest of the dark substance in his pearly plain mug - mind wiring and buzzing with plans and ideas.

"Why not."

Cicero chugged his butter beer and stood up, Five asking him to wait a second.
The old teen turned to the barmaid, giving an innocent smile.
"Could I have some pure malt firewhisky? It's been a, tough couple of days ... and." He pretended to be at lost for words, the barmaid giving him a sympathetic look.

She went back and brought out two bottles, placing them in a brown bag and passing it to him with another sympathetic look.
"I'm not supposed to give this to fifth years, so keep it hidden - I sure hope that this makes your day better."

Five gave a charming yet innocent smile, placing the correct money - plus a tip onto the dark oak counter.
"Much. Thank you."

The blond followed the boy out - mouth agape, waiting to speak once they were out of earshot.
"How did you do that? Only people that are of age can buy that!"

The little assassin gave a coy close mouthed grin, picketing one of his hands inside his navy umbrella academy coat that he had found.
"Experience, Cicero. Just a little bit of experience."

I apologise for the rushed plot 😅The photo above has the coat I was just talking about - Five is in the front row, at the left

The photo above has the coat I was just talking about - Five is in the front row, at the left.