Part 01

Shit.

Five tumbled out of the glowing anomaly, landing heavily face down on the withering grass below him.
Wind knocked right out of his lungs.

The man groaned in pain and picked himself up after several seconds.
As he did so he felt his feet shift in his black leather shoes, blazer clinging onto his frame too loosely for his liking.

That's strange.

A voice, a very familiar one.
A voice that he hadn't heard in many years questioned the others on either side of him.
"Does anyone else see little five, or is it just me?"

He squinted and took a glance at his body.
Five looked back up at his confused family.
And cussed.

"Shit!"

___

"What's the date? The exact date."
Five asked, placing the wooden chopping board on the table with a dull thud.

"The 24th."
"Of what?" Five pressed.
"August."Vanya continued, wiping her nose with the end of her blue cardigan sleeve.
He pulled off the little piece of white plastic that kept the bag of bread closed, which always seemed to snap after a few good days.

"Good."

Five stood at the opposite end of his family, or at least what was left of it.
He adorned his old clothes that he wore at the umbrella academy, which consisted of leather school shoes, knee socks that he folded once perfectly so it stuck at the top of his calfs, a simple white shirt with a simple black tie, a sleeveless woollen vest and a navy blazer lined in red with shorts the same colour.

"Wait why is that good?" Klaus muttered to the empty void beside him, before gazing confusedly at the brunet.

Five looked up at his brother. Avoiding the question.
"Nice dress."

"Oh, well danke!" He responded, giving a wide toothy grin as he flattened out the piece of clothing he was wearing.
He gestured to his lower waist.
"It's nice and breezy around the bits."

"So, are we going to talk about what just happened?" Five stayed silent as he lay out two pieces of white bread, the rest of the Hargreaves family shrugged to each other.
Luther stood up, towering over five.

"It's been 17 years." Luther said, stating the obvious.

Five scoffed, closing the gap between him and Luther to half a meter.
"It's been a lot longer than that."
He blinked with a blue flash and reappeared in front of the cabinet behind the man, searching through it for the bag of mini marshmallows.

"I haven't missed that."
He blinked back to the station he was preparing his sandwich.

"Where did you go?" Diego asked.
"The future. It's shit, by the way."

Klaus raised his hand, nodding to himself.
"Called it."

Five continued, walking over to the fridge beside Luther and searching for a jar of peanut butter. He sighed as he continued speaking.

"I should have listened to the old man. You know jumping through space is one thing." He twist open the jar with a satisfying pop.
"Jumping through time is a toss of the dice."

"Wait, how did you get back?" Vanya questioned in a small voice, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly.

"In the end, I had to project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time." Five explained, placing several marshmallows over the layer of peanut butter.
His words ran smoothly like velvet.

"That makes no sense." Diego said dumbly, speaking for his other siblings.

"Well, it would if you were smarter." Five commented, putting another piece of bread onto his sandwich.
Luther's arm collided with Diego's body heavily as he stopped him from standing up and doing something to his adoptive brother.

"How long were you there?"

"Forty-three years, give or take." He replied, taking a bite out of the piece of food in his hand.
"So what, you're saying that you're fifty-eight?"

Five sighed and gave him a sarcastic smile.
"No, my consciousness is fifty-eight. Apparently, my body is fifteen again."

"Wait," Vanya started. "how does that even work?"
"Delores kept saying the equations were off. Eh." He took another bite.
"Bet she's laughing now."

"Delores?" The old teen ignored the question again, humming to himself.

"Hm. Guess I missed the funeral." Five stated, picking up the newspaper with the headline screaming

'Eccentric billionaire Reginald Hargreeves, dead.'

"How'd you know about that?" Luther asked.
Five gave him another look, one that matched a snake's, and hissed

"What part of the future do you not understand?"

The boy sighed and allowed himself a little time to finish his mouthful.
"Heart failure huh?"

"Yeah."
"No." Luther quickly cut Diego off.

Five clicked his tongue as he started to stroll away."Nice to see nothing's changed."

"Uh, that's it? That's all you have to say?" Allison asked, furrowing her perfectly sculpted eyebrows.

"What else is there to say? The circle of life."
The boy walked out of the room, slipping out of the other's views and leaving them to bicker.

"Dad's funeral's in half an hour!" Luther shouted out, his statement answered with a faint hum.

Klaus giggled lightly, tilting his head to the right.
"Well, that was interesting."

•