Part 23

Time has never passed by this slowly to Riddle before.
It had trudged along like a sloth with broken arms - classes seemingly stretching on for hours and hours and hours without an end.

Riddle was an eager learner, yes, and he was definitely the top student and a true student model - an excellent one, probably the best in at least a century. Always listening to the professors with all his attention to them.

So it shocked them, the teens actions, when they noticed his leg bouncing impatiently ever so slightly for a fraction of a minute - before he forced himself to still after realising what he was doing.

When the clock tower rung loudly and classes where dismissed, he gathered his things and left so efficiently and instantaneously, that it made the curious adults just wonder about what on earth the Riddle was waiting for.

Of course, they dismissed it and kept their many thoughts to themselves - he still answered every question directed at him perfectly without any hesitation lacing his voice, and so they needn't worry much about whatever it is to be effecting his learning.

Riddle's friends had also noticed his impatience, spying that excited glint in his eye that lasts for a split second - the short hairs on their arms standing upright.

But they knew better than to question their lord.

The day had finally passed, and Riddle found himself arriving five minutes earlier, unable to wait any longer for the answers he very much desired from a person that he barely even knew.

This boy, certainly - piqued his interest, that's for sure.
Exactly why? He doesn't know himself.

Quite chatting started to become partially clear with every long, silent stride that the prefect took - finding that it immediately stopped the moment he came into the proximately in which he would have been able to make out each and every word properly.

Five turned his tired head to face away from Salazar Slytherin's portrait, and to Riddle's - his cerulean eyes piercing the other teen's jade ones.

He was half sat on the velvet green armrest, the flickering fireplace illuminating his face at an angle that hit him in all the correct spots - giving off the look as if he were glowing like a star.

For some strange reason, Five looked fairly dejected - eyes seemingly clouded with a thick haze, face not holding his signature sarcastic smirk.
One that he most definitely wore during dinner in the great hall a couple of hours ago ( Tom took note of the fact that the boy only ate a small bread roll).

"So, Tom - what do you want to know."
Riddle smiled on the inside, he had constantly though about what he was going to ask this boy - planning to get as much information as he could so that he could decide whether this strange teen would be useful to him, or not.

"First of, why is your name a numeral? I want a proper explanation if you can give me one."

The boy took a breath in, and exhaled - leaning back further on the velvety armrest.

"My adoptive father numbered my siblings and I by what I assume is our level of obedience. I, out of seven kids - if you count the deceased - am the fifth most obedient, which does make sense considering that I did directly disobey my father several times.

Our mother Grace, who is an Android, properly named them all when they turned sixteen - a time when I wasn't .... there."

The teen with jet black hair nodded, elegantly sliding into the second velvety green seat beside the preoccupied one as he asked his next question.

"Interesting. Hargreeves, my next query. On the train a couple of days ago, you mentioned that you had never been in the wizarding world - and that you weren't a ... muggleborn either.
I'm assuming that you're not half blood - so tell me. What are you, exactly?"

Five inhaled deeply, the corner of his mouth twitching up slightly as he leaned forwards from his position - fireplace spitting onto the cold grey stone before it.

"Now, Riddle - I'll give you a very short explanation. The reason why I'm telling you all this in the first place, is not because I trust you - it's because it's information that people can't use against me, and because you'll most definitely figure it out on your own."

Riddle didn't know how this worked, but that same intimidating air that swarmed the boy last night - seemed to have become thicker and stronger, feeling as though it was becoming just a touch harder to breathe.

The cold and logical boy leaned back, and answered Riddle's question without a hitch.
"It may help if you read the book 'extra ordinary', an autobiography written by my sister, Vanya. It explains most of our childhood there.
Something, well several things actually, in my body was changed - more specifically, my DNA. Now, these things combined together had some sort of chemical reaction to each other - creating a totally new species that is one of a kind, one that can perform magic due to these reactions.
Hence the reason why I'm capable of doing what witches and wizards, do."

Riddle reminded himself to grab the book Five had mentioned, inwardly having a little celebration at the new found information - asking his final question in a calm and controlled manner, the question he so desperately wanted the answer to.

"And tell me, how were you able to 'apparate' like you did in the duel you miraculously defeated me in?"

•