f i f t y - o n e

"Okay so, soulmates are basically generated by dreams, right?" Madeline said theatrically, "And by the way, so unfair— I'm literally the most enthusiastic about this yet I don't have a soulmate? Why, universe, why?"

"This is my first time hearing about any of this," Jimin cut in, taking another sip of his smoothie now that his ice cream was devoured.

"Tae and I are soulmates," Jeongguk announced proudly.

"We've been known, Jeongguk," Madeline groaned, causing the ravenette to chuckle, "Anyway, Hobi said that interference with sleep actually affects the bond."

"I mean, that makes sense." The ravenette shrugged. "No sleep, no dreams."

Madeline nodded in agreement. "So what happens when one person is woken up before the other?" She tapped her finger against the table. "Hobi said he's not sure cause him and his ex-soulmate were pretty consistent with waking up at the same time."

"Are you saying that you can break a bond by waking one soulmate up?" Jimin leaned back in his chair and waved hi to one of his casual friends across the dining hall.

Then his eyes caught Carter's, who was staring at the group quite intimidatingly. The blonde raised an eyebrow at him and Jimin just dismissed Carter with a flick of a hand.

"That's not true," Jeongguk was saying, munching on a barbecue chip, "I mean... soulmate bonds can't be that brittle. I feel like it's more of an internal thing. The bond breaks when you're not... emotionally attached the same way? I mean, Hobi did say that he and his ex-soulmate fought."

Madeline hummed, dissecting the ravenette's viewpoint in her mind. "Yeah I see what you mean."

"Maybe my brain size is just equivalent to a pea, but I feel like there's more to this soulmate thing than we'll ever know," Jimin concluded.

"I want a soulmate," Madeline whined.

Jeongguk laughed, sitting up straight to brag about his soulmate until two fingers dipped under his chin and tilted his head upwards, forcing him to face—

"Are you sick?" Taehyung inquired, concern painting his entire complexion.

Caught off guard, Jeongguk let the brunette caress his cheeks and press the back of his hand on his forehead as if checking his temperature. "What?"

"Jimin texted and said you were sick."

"Jimin!" The ravenette exclaimed.

"You are sick for having wasabi vanilla ice cream," Jimin pointed out, earning a kick to the leg under the table, "Ow."

Taehyung frowned, confused. "So are you feeling okay?"

"Yes, Tae. I'm fine," Jeongguk laughed.

"Ah okay good. I was worried."

The ravenette erupted into a fit of giggles when Taehyung leaned down and smothered him with kisses.

"So this is what I'm gonna be dealing with on a daily basis," Madeline informed Jimin with a deep sigh, jabbing a thumb at the couple, "This, along with Yoongi and Hobi— the platonic boyfriend duo."

"Fun." Jimin grinned, shaking his head.

"How was the talk with Jin?" Jeongguk whispered near the brunette's ear.

"Good." Taehyung nuzzled below his boyfriend's jaw. "I'm so relieved that he's okay now."

"Jimin and I talked too," The ravenette revealed, "No grudges. He's cool."