f o r t y - t w o

"Pool bleachers." Jeongguk said, "I was on the school swim team."

Taehyung's eyes bulged out and the ravenette laughed at his expression. "You were on the swim team." He repeated, trying to digest that information.

"My mom lifeguarded that swimming pool too." Jeongguk added, smiling weakly at the brunette under him. "I know what you're thinking. It's kinda messed up, isn't it? Swimming was our thing, you know... but after it... killed her, I've never touched water ever since."

"So you quit the team?" Taehyung asked. He began rubbing circles into the boy's back, noting how his touch relaxed him.

"No, actually." Jeongguk shook his head. "I got kicked off like a month before she died. It's okay though. I don't exactly love my teammates."

The brunette frowned, but before he could ask any more questions, Jeongguk had inched forward and pressed his lips against his.

Taehyung instantly melted beneath him, mind hazy, their fingers still intertwined. He half-expected to wake up in the same bed and realize it was all just a dream. But when Jeongguk pulled away with that little devilish smirk of his, Taehyung knew he wasn't just a fraction of his imagination.

"Since when have you become so smug?" He snorted, "What happened to awkward mister sky person?"

"I was hoping you'd never bring that up again." Jeongguk groaned, attempting to roll off the brunette and possibly leave the room. But Taehyung tightened his hold, keeping the ravenette in his arms.

"Aw, is Bambi embarrassed?" Taehyung grinned, seeing the tint of pink that dusted the boy's cheeks.

"Don't start." The ravenette warned, eyes narrowed. But Taehyung couldn't take him seriously with his bottom lip stuck out in a pout.

This was the Jeongguk he knew. Shy, awkward, closed-off Jeongguk.

His...

His?

"You're a good kisser too." Taehyung continued, wanting to tease him even more. "Mind telling me where you learnt that, hm?"

"I had someone before you." Jeongguk revealed timidly, avoiding the brunette's eyes.

Taehyung's lips formed an oh. This was news. "What? Did he break your heart? Did he hurt you?" He tensed at the idea of Jeongguk getting hurt.

"No." The ravenette's voice grew smaller. "I hurt him. And I never apologized."

Taehyung pinched Jeongguk's chin and tilted his head up. "I can't condemn your past actions. But I do believe in the person you are today." He pecked his lips. "Don't dwell too much on the past. You'll lose your footing on your journey forward to the future."

A smile tugged at the corners of Jeongguk's lips. "Please tell me you read that off tumblr or something. That's the most poetic shit I've ever heard from you." He giggled, "You sound like my mom."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"As you should." The ravenette smiled. "My mom would've liked you."

"You think?" Taehyung beamed.

"Yes, definitely. Just keep speaking in metaphors." Jeongguk laughed, and he wondered if that was the first time he had laughed thinking about her since she passed. "Can you let go for a second? I just want to lie next to you."

Taehyung complied, but only because his lungs were slowly collapsing under Jeongguk's weight. Once the ravenette got comfortable under the blanket next to him, Taehyung stroked his cheek, his entire being oozing with affection.