t w e n t y - s i x

You try to give me shelter
I kept choosing the rain

sweet surrender
~ atc

⋅⋆∘✯∘⋆⋅

It was only normal for us to be captivated by the night sky, especially with the lack of the city street lights and neon signs to alter our vision. Let yourself exist in the same space as those cosmos. Those stars. So surreal. If you reached high enough, they might fit perfectly in your palm, in your pocket. Perhaps you could even take it home. You'll never have to be afraid of the dark again.

Usually Taehyung would walk with his head tilted up towards those white pearls against a velvet black cushion, soaking in every single star.

But not this time.

All he could focus on were the stars he couldn't see in Jeongguk's eyes.

Jeongguk acted like nothing happened. He hadn't spoken a single word to Taehyung the rest of the day. In fact, he avoided him. When they found their friends in the common room, Jeongguk chose to sit far away from him, he chose to avert his gaze, he chose to curl himself into a protective barrier.

It was like a brick wall had wedged itself between them and they had went back to being less than strangers.

It was like Taehyung killed the rest of Jeongguk's life force. The ravenette didn't even bother trying to fake a smile.

Yoongi made an excuse to buy some snacks, pulling Taehyung out of the room with him. "What's up with Jeongguk?"

The brunette glanced at him through the glass window. "I..."

"I know I'm not that close to the guy. But I can tell when someone's miserable."

"It isn't my place to tell his secrets, Yoongi."

Yoongi's face fell at the solemnity of his best friend's tone. "Is he okay?"

"I hope."

"Talk to him then. You're the only person he would talk to."

"I'm afraid I've scared him off."

"Talk to him." Yoongi pressed on.

Easier said than done.

When Taehyung said that he'll walk with Jeongguk back to his cabin that night, the ravenette offered no response. The silence was eating him up as much as the cold was nibbling at his skin.

"Jeongguk."

The ravenette ignored him, hands stuffed into pockets and continuing his stroll like Taehyung's voice was nothing more than a gust of wind against his ear.

"Jeongguk."

Jeongguk took another step down the path before Taehyung seized him by the arm and spun him around, holding onto him with this determination that took the ravenette's breath away.

"What did I do wrong, Jeongguk? Please." Taehyung's hand traced down the ravenette's arm and brushed against his fingers. "Why are you avoiding me?"

Jeongguk pulled away.

"Tell me what's wrong. Please. You're scaring me—"

"You're scared!?" The sharpness of Jeongguk's words were a deep contrast to how much the ravenette was trembling. He pointed a finger at himself. "I'm scared, Tae!"

Taehyung was startled by the outburst. It was close to curfew, which means they were all alone in the dark. And Jeongguk's words echoed into the night.