t w e n t y - t w o

T A E H Y U N G

If screams were to be physical, Taehyung would take the prickling on his skin as knifes sinking into flesh. Sharp cries piercing through the air.

The ravenette's feet were kicking up sand as he hurled himself at the edge of shore, only to be stopped by someone's arms. Figures closed up on him. He thrashed about, wanting to throw himself into the body of water. Lips were moving, forming words, perhaps instructing the boy to stay put. But all Taehyung heard was screaming.

Suddenly the ravenette's eyes fluttered close, legs giving out from under him as he collapsed to his knees. The figures disappeared into thin air one by one, leaving the boy kneeling alone.

He trembled, back turned towards Taehyung. Breathes ragged, unsteady with sobs.

"Jeongguk?" Taehyung whispered, throat tightening, seeing the boy in such a state. But he didn't exist in that space. He can't be heard.

Suddenly the ravenette lifted his head up as if he had spotted something. Taehyung couldn't see, the expanse of the boy's back blocking his view. So instead he sucked in a breath and trapped it in the hollow of his throat.

Just waiting.

The sound of the ravenette's inhales and exhales diminished into this deafening silence that burned into Taehyung's mind.

When he finally leaned back and raised his hands high enough for Taehyung to see, a pendant of a necklace rested in his palm, wet and covered with sand.

But that wasn't what caused Taehyung's heart to drop to his stomach.

No.

It was the blood that seeped through open cuts on Jeongguk's wrists, trailing down his arms like demons lathering his soul with the scent of death.