f o r t y - s i x

Have you had a million reasons why you wish you'd never seen the truth?

paralyzed
~ atc

⋅⋆∘✯∘⋆⋅

Ahnjong couldn't help the smile that twitched at the corners of her lips as she watched her youngest son and his supposed boyfriend leave the cabin hand in hand that morning. That smile didn't falter when her other child came down the stairs with his hair sticking in all directions.

"Oh, you really tossed and turned last night, huh?" She reached out and started fixing Seokjin's bed head. "You look like a mess, hun."

"Morning, mom." Seokjin stifled a yawn. "I couldn't really sleep last night— was worried about Tae."

"What's wrong?"

"He and Jeongguk had a little... you can call it a misunderstanding, I suppose. But I think they managed to talk it out."

"Yeah?" Ahnjong finished smoothing out his hair and nudged her head towards Seokjin's favorite cereal box.

He thanked her and seated himself down on one of the stools. "Yeah. He barged into my room, shook me awake and asked to borrow a hoodie for Jeongguk."

Ahnjong laughed. "I knew that was your hoodie."

"Yup. He took all the credit." Seokjin shrugged. "But yeah, I asked him if they were on good terms now and he said they were doing swell. Funny how everything changed overnight."

"Ah, I guess young love can be a little impulsive and spontaneous," His mother pointed out airily, "It's not a bad thing. There's just a lot to learn."

"Mm!" Seokjin piped up, but he has to swallow his mouthful before speaking. "He also mentioned how they were soulmates. Like how they, uh share dreams that reveal stuff about each other."

Ahnjong hummed. "I've heard of those kind of things." She sat down opposite her son and rested her chin in her arms, looking at Seokjin. "Speaking of relationships, how are you and your partner getting along?"

"Joonie's really sickeningly nice." Seokjin chuckled quietly, "I asked to set boundaries when they started getting really affectionate— like only holding my hands and not touching my chest or kissing me— and they didn't make a fuss about it."

"Well I wouldn't call that sickeningly nice," Ahnjong said, "that's just respecting boundaries like basic human decency. But yes, we do appreciate them." She paused. "Did they ask why?"

Seokjin didn't say anything, and Ahnjong thought he might've missed her question until he met her eyes and gave his response.

"I told Joonie."

"Hm?"

"I told them about dad."

Ahnjong mouth fell open. "You did?"

Seokjin gnawed on his inner cheek. "Yeah." He put his spoon down. "Joonie cried with me."

"Oh darling." Ahnjong instantly got to her feet, maneuvering around the table to wrap her arms around her son. "I'm so proud of you for opening up to someone."

"It was really scary," Seokjin mumbled, returning the hug, his height tall enough for him to rest his chin on her shoulder. "It was really really scary, b-but Joonie made it bearable. They didn't rush me or anything. They just sat and listened and assured me it was okay to tell them as long as I was comfortable."

"That's good." Ahnjong rubbed his back. "I'm glad you finally found someone you trust enough to tell. I know that took a lot of courage. I'm so proud of you."